Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

I used to love going to see the fireworks when I was a kid, bright lights and loud bangs that scare you half out of your pants...well...lets just say that I haven't been a fan of bright lights or loud noises for a few decades. After dealing with a few dogs that totally freak out during fireworks and hearing more and more horror stories involving wildlife, I can honestly say that I wish they totally banned fireworks. If anyone plans on setting off fireworks, please show respect for the surrounding wildlife and don't cause something like this to happen ever again.

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/news/conservation/firework-scares-black-skimmers-off-colony-florida/

Edited by lonestranger
  • Sad 5
4 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I used to love going to see the fireworks when I was a kid, bright lights and loud bangs that scare you half out of your pants...well...lets just say that I haven't been a fan of bright lights or loud noises for a few decades. After dealing with a few dogs that totally freak out during fireworks and hearing more and more horror stories involving wildlife, I can honestly say that I wish they totally banned fireworks. If anyone plans on setting off fireworks, please show respect for the surrounding wildlife and don't cause something like this to happen ever again.

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/news/conservation/firework-scares-black-skimmers-off-colony-florida/

Some people do not deserve this planet.

• Like 3

While not a problem to the birds per se, there were some fireworks last night on Memorial Day, which just happened to be the hottest day of the year so far (95F) while were in a drought. Seems like a great idea for the already dry areas around us in N. California.

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

"Florida man breaks the migratory bird treaty for murica"

13 hours ago, lonestranger said:

After dealing with a few dogs that totally freak out during fireworks

We take our dog to an out-of-the-way kennel every July 4th and December 31st, where she is much less likely to be bothered by the idiots; er, celebrants.

• Like 4