Whatbird Community

Confirm Dusky Flycatcher

The audio definitely sounds like a Dusky, all those low pitched notes have been a pretty reliable way to separate the two species. What was the habitat like? Dusky like places where there is some forest, especially when it's not pines.  Hammond's prefer big pines higher up in elevation than dusky. The best place to find Dusky Flycatcher near Sac is an Aspen grove that was logged about ten years ago, Dusky can be found there in very good numbers, but Hammond's are quite rare there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

The audio definitely sounds like a Dusky, all those low pitched notes have been a pretty reliable way to separate the two species. What was the habitat like? Dusky like places where there is some forest, especially when it's not pines.  Hammond's prefer big pines higher up in elevation than dusky. The best place to find Dusky Flycatcher near Sac is an Aspen grove that was logged about ten years ago, Dusky can be found there in very good numbers, but Hammond's are quite rare there. 

The habitat was high in elevation with pines around.

Also I think Dusky is the much more expected breeder in most of SoCal away from some areas high in the Sierras. And also are pretty dominant most places in the Sierras. It could still be a migrant Dusky at this date I guess. But it would be VERY late for a migrant Hammond’s, I usually see them in April 

• Like 1

While I'm not very experienced with DUFL and HAFL in the Sierras, I am in the Rockies. There, DUFL habitat is dominated by deciduous shrubs in a wide moisture gradient and with or without an overstory. HAFL hab is dominated by tall conifers and has little in the way of shrub understory. One can find the two species side by side, given appropriate hab conditions. These differing habitat features explain at least some, possibly much, of the difference in wing structure in the two species.

• Like 4