Whatbird Community

When I saw the duck in the attached photo it was standing so that it's breast was out of the water.  The breast looked odd and different to me, very speckled, so I snapped a couple of pics.  Unfortunately I've deleted everything except this one photo and now looking at it this duck does not seem to be a Mallard like I originally thought.  Sorry - photo is a huge crop.  The bill is lighter at the base and gets darker towards the end and the striping on the head looks "different" too.  I can't find many pictures of them, but from what I can find I think this could possibly be a male eclipse Garganey.  Seen in Orange County, California on 9/27.1589005789_CaDuckSep27_2018-3.jpg.9b8c6c2e889870a8f3dd4307e5ec059a.jpg

My thoughts: I'd expect Green-winged Teal to have a much smaller bill.  Face pattern is awfully bold for Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal.  Could be a weird Mallard I guess, but bill color doesn't really match.   Don't like to jump to conclusions, but I'm having a tough time ruling out Garganey here. 

• Like 1

I found a pic in my deleted files of the breast.  That's what caught my attention - how speckled it was and I couldn't place it so I snapped a couple quick photos and forgot about it.  I'll feel like an idiot if this is a Garganey.

Ca Duck breast Sep27_2018.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mel J said:

I found a pic in my deleted files of the breast.  That's what caught my attention - how speckled it was and I couldn't place it so I snapped a couple quick photos and forgot about it.  I'll feel like an idiot if this is a Garganey.

Ca Duck breast Sep27_2018.jpg

I don’t want to jump to a conclusion either, but this pic increases my confidence in Garganey. The small black area extending from the gape is a very good mark. I still think GW Teal is the only other option here.

Edited by akiley