Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
mfoster.vt

Shorebirds at Plum Island MA

Some more shorebirds I am looking for confirmation on.  2 of these birds would be lifers for me if correct.  I gave it my best try on the ID's but likely wrong on some.

i-qffbPJb-XL.jpgi-5j7Bcmd-XL.jpgi-4nX2L54-XL.jpg

1. Red Knot?  this would be a lifer for me.

i-Zf5Qt9C-XL.jpgi-zRzFZSL-XL.jpgi-TDTwgq2-XL.jpg

2.  I think the above bird is a Baird's Sandpiper.  In the bottom photo I believe the bird in the foreground is a Pectoral Sandpiper.  Show together for size.  More pics of Pectoral below.  This would be another lifer for me.

i-PGdXpN4-XL.jpgi-fbdMgLm-XL.jpg

3.  I think that the birds above are Pectoral Sandpipers.  Bottom photo has a Black Bellied plover in front.

i-2pcNqkV-XL.jpgi-DPmqHp3-XL.jpgi-MX6PGgw-XL.jpg

4.  I think the above birds are Semipalmated Sandpipers (except the Semipalmated plover which I added the photo for size comparison)

i-9tzGXd2-XL.jpg

5. I think this is a White Rumped Sandpiper.  Mixed in with the Semipalmated plovers and about the same size.  Seems to have a longer, slightly drooping bill.

i-stcVM2x-XL.jpgi-HWf2pXt-XL.jpgi-mNtp4Kz-XL.jpg

6.  I think the above birds are Dunlin.  First pics show maybe birds in the middle of molting out of summer plumage.

i-VPkWvz4-M.jpg

7.  Not sure on these.  A highly cropped photo.  Thinking maybe more Semipalmated Sandpipers.

1 -- Juv Red Knot -- the fine black subterminal band inside a white terminal band on the scapulars and wing coverts is just about diagnostic for the species and age (and, BTW, visible on the upper bird in the second photo of #3).

2 -- Juv White-rumped -- dark legs, no webbing, pale base to the bill

3 -- Juv Pectoral in first pic

4 -- Semis

5 -- Semi/Western -- White-rumped is notably larger than Semi and its wing tips extend beyond the tail tip (all features presented in field guides)

6 -- Dunlins

7 -- Semis/Westerns

• Like 1