Whatbird Community

Woodpecker challenge

This is the only picture I got of this small (ish) woodpecker.  Found along a mountain pass in central Washington.  The noise it made kinda sounded like a dogs squeaky toy but not as high pitched.  It looked to me like it has red above or in front of it's eye.  Any guess is better than the one I have!  As always thanks in advance!!

Woodpecker (1 of 1)

"Woodpecker challenge"

Not challenging getting it to genus since it's got yellow underparts, but species is a bit tricky, given the view. That far north, one can eliminate pure Red-breasted and, possibly, most Red-naped x Red-breasted. However, this

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Looks like a Red-naped Sapsucker

is probably correct.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

That far north, one can eliminate pure Red-breasted 

These are common enough on the Canadian side of the border, and the range map indicates they breed up to Alaska, so I don't understand this.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 3:16 AM, PaulK said:

These are common enough on the Canadian side of the border, and the range map indicates they breed up to Alaska, so I don't understand this.

21 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

It doesn't have an entirely red head, so ruling out the nominate, northern race.

If I understand correctly, only one subspecies is found that far north.  The white on the head identifies this bird as a member of a different subspecies, one that doesn't get up that far.  I haven't seen the range map but I'm =guessing= it shows the combined range of all subs without breaking them down separately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

If I understand correctly, only one subspecies is found that far north.  The white on the head identifies this bird as a member of a different subspecies, one that doesn't get up that far.  I haven't seen the range map but I'm =guessing= it shows the combined range of all subs without breaking them down separately.

I'm pretty sure this is what he means based on the last comment. Sibley 2nd ed. says "Subspecies are divided sharply in southern Oregon. Northern populations [have]...little white on head". For what it's worth, given how much black there is on the breast I'm not sure why we're discussing Red-breasted at all, except to be comprehensive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1