Whatbird Community

Very low-priority West Coast question: what might sound like a Golden-crowned Sparrow?

Hi, this morning I heard a single short snippet of a song that sounded like a Golden-crowned Sparrow. Those are now rare where I am (Vancouver, BC), so I definitely don't have enough to even slightly consider reporting it. But I'm curious what else might have a sweet descending song of that sort, as whatever it is I don't know how to identify. Any thoughts?

I have had very good luck with the BirdNET App when it comes to IDing song and sounds.

I tried SongSleuth and it was wrong more than it was right - often REALLY wrong.

However, BirdNET is really great! It has even picked out two birds calling at the same time. I have been able to ID a lot more birds since I started using it, since I often hear birds before I see them and BirdNET gives me a good idea of what I might be looking for. It's not always able to make an ID and it is not 100% correct, but it's been a great tool to have in the arsenal for people like me who can't yet identify every call made by every bird.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dimitrig said:

I have had very good luck with the BirdNET App when it comes to IDing song and sounds.

I tried SongSleuth and it was wrong more than it was right - often REALLY wrong.

However, BirdNET is really great! It has even picked out two birds calling at the same time. I have been able to ID a lot more birds since I started using it, since I often hear birds before I see them and BirdNET gives me a good idea of what I might be looking for. It's not always able to make an ID and it is not 100% correct, but it's been a great tool to have in the arsenal for people like me who can't yet identify every call made by every bird.

I'm a big proponent of BirdNET too, but I find, at least on my phone, it only does reasonably well when the bird is close / loud and there isn't too much background noise. In the middle of the city where I am it often IDs things as pigeons and coots because it's hearing people talking and the audio isn't clean. When it works though it's a fantastic tool.