Whatbird Community

Call from desert

12 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

How long are you going to be a around Palm Springs for? A lot of good birds have been showing up in the desert recently (Alder Flycatcher, White-rumped Sand etc.)

I just left. It was just a three day, non birding little trip with my family. All birds I saw were around the hotel. Really too hot for trails and possibly getting to the salton sea( unfortunately), maybe the winter. I did get 2( possibly three)lifers( verdin, black tailed gnatcatcher, and a few possible BCHUs, which I’ll upload tomorrow to confirm.  

Edited by IKLland

Just now, Kevin said:

What is too hot out there?

Well, I meant it was really hot for trails/birding. It was at least 95 every day, but we kinda lucked out. Next week will be 118!!! Thankfully, it’s going to be a bit cooler by my house.

The 90s are nothing in the southwest, it can get wayyyy wayyy hotter in the desert. I actually don't mind the 90s at all, even the low 100s aren't terrible- it's all about dry heat, while even 80 out east is miserable because it's so swampy

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hasan said:

The 90s are nothing in the southwest, it can get wayyyy wayyy hotter in the desert. I actually don't mind the 90s at all, even the low 100s aren't terrible- it's all about dry heat, while even 80 out east is miserable because it's so swampy

Yeah, the high humidity makes you feel all hot and sticky. It doesn’t help that we live next to a marsh… 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hasan said:

exactly my point. We got lucky that it wasn't 118  or hotter on our trip. Mainly just stayed in the pool though.

• Like 1