Whatbird Community

51 minutes ago, cvanbosk said:

Merlin is saying Iceland or Glaucous-winged. I just don't know how to distinguish them.

Don’t trust Merlin. I’ve gotten some crazy answers from it before.

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

This gull is bleached, whatever it is. I’m thinking Iceland Gull because of the dainty, all black bill.

Iceland in SoCal is quite uncommon. And in the summer?? I'm thinking bleached CAGU, but i'd wait for somebody else.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IKLland said:

Iceland in SoCal is quite uncommon. And in the summer?? I'm thinking bleached CAGU, but i'd wait for somebody else.

True, I didn’t even consider range. I just thought overall head and bill shape looked good.

• Like 2

I’d guess Glaucous-winged.

It does look rather small-billed for G-w Gull though, it could definitely be a bleached out Thayer’s as well. I don’t think Thayer’s in summer in SoCal is totally out of the question, but probably rarer than Glaucous-winged I’d guess.

Personally I’d go for Glaucous-wing or “gull sp” though. Interested to hear what others have to say.

Also would help to be able to see the bird in comparison to other gulls of known species to be able to gauge size. If it’s as big as Westerns, it’s definitely Glaucous-winged.

• Like 3