Whatbird Community

Camera body’s: Canon eos 70d vs canon eos rebel t6i vs canon eos rebel t7.

9 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I can’t believe my eyes! Isn’t this like a really really good camera? Or is that the 7d mark II?

F00744BC-9860-4B2B-9ED9-8073E3875693.jpeg

The 7D is a very capable camera, I used one for about 5 years before upgrading to the 7D Mark ii. I thoroughly enjoyed using the 7D.  When paired with a good lens, I think it can help produce some great images. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had kept the 7D. It can have noise issues in low light, but that can be said about many cameras and with today's noise reduction software, well, noise is less of an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, IKLland said:

I’ll see if I can get the sigma 150-600.

I'll just point out that if you're going with the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm lens, it is made for both Canon and Nikon cameras. I can't comment on Nikon DSLRs from personal experience, but I know enough to safely say that they make some quality cameras too. Just more food for thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'll just point out that if you're going with the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm lens, it is made for both Canon and Nikon cameras. I can't comment on Nikon DSLRs from personal experience, but I know enough to safely say that they make some quality cameras too. Just more food for thought.

yes, i know. I feel like I want canon for some reason, though. I'm more comfortable with some canon because I just have no clue. Just one of those things!

12 hours ago, lonestranger said:

The 7D is a very capable camera, I used one for about 5 years before upgrading to the 7D Mark ii. I thoroughly enjoyed using the 7D.  When paired with a good lens, I think it can help produce some great images. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had kept the 7D. It can have noise issues in low light, but that can be said about many cameras and with today's noise reduction software, well, noise is less of an issue. 

Just to be clear, this would work with a Tamron 100-400, right? I've looked at reviews of that lens I think it looks pretty good for me over the 18-400 if when i am ready to buy it I can't get the 150-600 sigma contempory. 

5 hours ago, IKLland said:

Just to be clear, this would work with a Tamron 100-400, right?

When buying third party lenses, I would suggest checking with the manufacturer to make sure it's compatible with your choice of camera. While I am pretty sure the two are compatible, I suggest making sure by checking with the manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

Couple other things worth considering that haven’t been mentioned so far

Check with your local camera shops to see if you can rent the lens you’re interested in. Nothing beats testing it out in the field to be sure it’ll work for your style.

The bigger zoom lenses have a large minimum focus distance. The 150-600mm lenses are about 8.5 feet. If you also do macro (flowers, bugs, etc) with your P&S while birding you’ll lose out on that ability. Although a phone camera can often fill this gap.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, neilpa said:

The bigger zoom lenses have a large minimum focus distance. The 150-600mm lenses are about 8.5 feet. If you also do macro (flowers, bugs, etc) with your P&S while birding you’ll lose out on that ability. Although a phone camera can often fill this gap.

While this is true - you can always add cheap extension tubes to reduce the minimum focus distance.  This lets you do macro with a bigger zoom lens.

20 hours ago, neilpa said:

Couple other things worth considering that haven’t been mentioned so far

Check with your local camera shops to see if you can rent the lens you’re interested in. Nothing beats testing it out in the field to be sure it’ll work for your style.

I have actually checked out one of my local camera shops. Though they don’t have much in the store, they say you can ask for anything and they can get it for you( new or used). They didn’t allow renting due to COVID, but they allowed me to hold some stuff. I’m probably getting the 70d with the Tamron 100-400, which they didn’t have, but they let me hold a 7d mark II(heavier than the 70d), with a heavier lens( I forgot which one), just so I could see the weight I’d be holding, which was nice as those were heavier than my setup would be if I got the 70d with tamron 100-400 and I was fine holding that, which means that I’m good to go on weight. Now until November, I have to have patience and do a little more research.

Thanks Everyone!

• Like 4

On 6/20/2021 at 12:10 PM, IKLland said:

Lens question: Sorry for the constant questions. Which lens do you think would be better with a canon 70d? Sigma 150-600 mm contemporary lens or the tamron 100-400?

Two advantages I see in favour of the Tamron 100-400, it's lighter and it has the closer minimum focus distance. I don't think that would be enough to make me choose the much shorter lens though. If you're looking for a birding lens, longer is typically better, all things being equal. The 100-400 is not any faster/brighter than the 150-600, both having F/6.3 aperture at max zoom. If I was spending your money and had to chose between these two lenses for the purpose of birding, I would buy the 150-600 for the longer reach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1