Whatbird Community

Weird "reptile bird" sighting in GA

This bird has been in a neighbors yard for a month, near an empty nest.  It is very territorial,  and will go after anyone in the back yard.  She sees it during the day, and says it looks "like a lizard, but it soars". It doesn't show up in any backyard bird guides we can find.  It's in Hampton, GA. (30 min. SE of Atlanta) What is this bird? 

received_554257605957660.jpeg

received_292549645906538.jpeg

received_599648654286087.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to Whatbird, @Hjdandries!  I think you've got two different birds there, one rusty red and one gray.  They're either Eastern Whip-poor-wills or Chuck-will's-widows.  I can't tell which, but somebody here might be able to.  Also, both species "say their names" at night, and the Eastern Whip-poor-will has a clear pwip call, while the Chuck-will's-widow has  a frog-like croak or growl.  You can listen to their sounds at allaboutbirds.org

Also according to Sibley's field guide, Chuck-will's-widow is about the same length as a Mourning Dove from beak to tail-tip, and Eastern Whip-poor-will is noticeably smaller.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Welcome to Whatbird, @Hjdandries!  I think you've got two different birds there, one rusty red and one gray.  They're either Eastern Whip-poor-wills or Chuck-will's-widows.  I can't tell which, but somebody here might be able to.  Also, both species "say their names" at night, and the Eastern Whip-poor-will has a clear pwip call, while the Chuck-will's-widow has  a frog-like croak or growl.  You can listen to their sounds at allaboutbirds.org

Also according to Sibley's field guide, Chuck-will's-widow is about the same length as a Mourning Dove from beak to tail-tip, and Eastern Whip-poor-will is noticeably smaller.

I think it’s one bird, just in different lighting. In any case, they’re both Chuck-will’s-widows.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Hjdandries said:

I've obviously never seen one of these guess in real life before

I’m not surprised. They can be very hard to find, even where common. They have excellent camouflage and blend into tree bark and leaf litter perfectly.

• Like 5