Whatbird Community

Coastal marsh bird

Hi,

Can anyone help me discern which species this is?  I’m thinking it’s either a Solitary Sandpiper; or one of the Yellowlegs.  Photo was from this past May, in southern NJ.

Thanks,

Steve

***Wherever you are in the world, I wish my fellow birders (and EVERYONE) continued health and safety in this present time of uncertainty.  Be well… ***

P1610476e.JPG

12 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Lesser Yellowlegs.  Too many spots (dark and light) on the back for a Solitary.

5 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Agreed.

I still have trouble discerning one from the other in my bird guide, so I'll gladly defer.  Thanks, both!

Solitary Sandpipers also usually have a more obvious white eye ring, proportionately shorter neck and legs, and the leg color averages duller and more greenish than a Yellowlegs. Lesser Yellowlegs has a very thin bill, while Greater Yellowlegs has a very long bill - Solitary Sandpiper has a slightly heftier bill than Lesser Yellowlegs, and a shorter bill than Greater Yellowlegs.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

Solitary Sandpipers also usually have a more obvious white eye ring, proportionately shorter neck and legs, and the leg color averages duller and more greenish than a Yellowlegs. Lesser Yellowlegs has a very thin bill, while Greater Yellowlegs has a very long bill - Solitary Sandpiper has a slightly heftier bill than Lesser Yellowlegs, and a shorter bill than Greater Yellowlegs.

Loving the informative reply, thanks!  👍