Whatbird Community

help with AZ bird

18 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Also called birding,

Nah, birdwatching and birding are not the same thing, at least not to me.  A birder is more serious about finding, identifying, observing, and documenting birds than a birdwatcher is.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Nah, birdwatching and birding are not the same thing, at least not to me.  A birder is more serious about finding, identifying, observing, and documenting birds than a birdwatcher is.

Ah, yes, thanks for correcting me on that.

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

"You say Pie-le-ated, and I say Pill-ee-ated,

You say Toe-hee, and I say Towh-ee.

Pie-le, Pill-ee

Toe-hee, Towh-ee,

Let's call the whole thing off!"

With apologies to Ginger and Fred.

There were millions of serious birdwatchers for centuries before the term 'birding' was coined.  Frankly, I think the verb was created simply because it's shorter to type in this text-obsessed era.

Oh, and they're called 'graphic novels', not 'great big comic books'; and it's a 'racing simulator', not a 'high-end video game'.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

With apologies to Ginger and Fred.

I think I'm probably one of the only people who gets that.

No one watches old movies any more. Would you believe it if I told you that most people my age don't even know who JOHN WAYNE is?!?!? 😢

33 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No one watches old movies any more.

I don’t watch any movies that aren’t sports or nature. And even then, I don’t watch many at all. I’ve seen like 5 movies in my life...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I think I'm probably one of the only people who gets that.

No one watches old movies any more. Would you believe it if I told you that most people my age don't even know who JOHN WAYNE is?!?!? 😢

I can't consider abandoning cable until I find a way to continue getting TCM.

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

I don’t watch any movies that aren’t sports or nature. And even then, I don’t watch many at all. I’ve seen like 5 movies in my life...

I'm not a huge movie aficionado  but seriously, if you see only one other movie, watch 'Casablanca'.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm not a huge movie aficionado  but seriously, if you see only one other movie, watch 'Casablanca'.

"Play it again, Sam"

9 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

"Play it again, Sam"

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find movie lines being misquoted in here!"

• Ingrid Bergman says "Play it, Sam.  Play 'As Time Goes By'."
  • Bogie says "You played it for her, you can play it for me.  If she can stand it, I can!"

But no one in 'Casablanca' says "Play it again, Sam."  The misquotation is rooted in the title of a Woody Allen movie made almost 30 years later.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

• Bogie says "You played it for her, you can play it for me.  If she can stand it, I can!"

But no one in 'Casablanca' says "Play it again, Sam."  The misquotation is rooted in the title of a Woody Allen movie made almost 30 years later.

Yeah, I actually knew that. I just didn't want to take the time to explain it all, since I figured you would anyhow. 😏 

Another famous misquote was James Cagney saying, 'ya dirty rat!', which he never actually said either. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

18 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Yeah, I actually knew that. I just didn't want to take the time to explain it all, since I figured you would anyhow. 😏 

Another famous misquote was James Cagney saying, 'ya dirty rat!', which he never actually said either. 

Those are both so funny to me.

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Hmm... We have two family  members who have it so we don't need cable to use it. We don't use it very often anymore, my mom has recorded most anything they have that we want.

...if you record things in real time it is legal.😉

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:44 PM, phxwolf said:

new to bird watching....im recovering from some medical stuff and this is helping me pass the time

this bird looks like a yellow breasted bunting, but no yellow....any ideas!?

Welcome to WhatBird and to birding, birdwatching, or whatever 😄 Hope you feel better soon and can go out and hunt for more birds! House Sparrow was one of the first species that totally confused me too, and I got great help here with it!

• Like 5