Whatbird Community

11 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Might have some GWGU in it...

That's what I figured. The dark mantle and primaries in the first pic, even in bright sun, got me hopeful it might go for a "pure" Western. We're in prime hybrid territory so I wasn't sure and Western would be considered rare. I may still update it on eBird and see what the reviewer says but want to get some more opinions here first.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neilpa said:

That's what I figured. The dark mantle and primaries in the first pic, even in bright sun, got me hopeful it might go for a "pure" Western. We're in prime hybrid territory so I wasn't sure and Western would be considered rare. I may still update it on eBird and see what the reviewer says but want to get some more opinions here first.

Wow. I knew you’re in Olympic territory, and GWGU are not rare but I didn’t think western was rare. Wow. 

@DLecy @Tony Leukering @Hasan @Aidan B @AlexHenry could help for whether it’s pure WEGU(the most common gull down here) or if it has some GWGU in it( olympics are rare down here, which is why I’m not sure. )

• Like 1

One of my local eBird reviewers reached to to let me know this is a California Gull. He said the mantle is still too light but also the black in the primaries is too extensive for Western. The latter is a field mark I wasn't aware of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, neilpa said:

One of my local eBird reviewers reached to to let me know this is a California Gull. He said the mantle is still too light but also the black in the primaries is too extensive for Western. The latter is a field mark I wasn't aware of.

Huh, thats why I’m not an expert. I brightened the 

photos and might actually see that. 

20BDCEF0-4AF5-4687-8CDF-D8C322909C65.jpeg

690CE03F-F3FB-44EB-A574-8B692B34BBE4.jpeg

• Like 2