Whatbird Community

Hi all, here's a fresh accipiter challenge! I found this fellow just this morning in southeast Oregon up in the Siskiyou mountains. I heard a Goshawk call earlier in the morning, and then about an hour later this accipiter flew over. Initial Impressions: Big bird, very fast gliding, and very dark. The flared undertail coverts should rule out Sharpie, so I believe it's either the Goshawk I heard or a Cooper's that flew in. 

In favor of Goshawk: Very heavy appearance, heavy speckling below, distinct supercilium, big thick tail, and broad wing with narrower tip.

In favor of Coopers: Still fairly pale beneath in some lighting, no pale bar on greater coverts, and the fact that it didn't strike me as being too big for a female coopers.

Thanks much for any help!

_M6A9285.jpg

_M6A9344.jpg

_M6A9295.jpg

_M6A9271.jpg

_M6A9367.jpg

_M6A9310.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simonthetanner said:

In favor of Goshawk:

Goshawks typically have heavily streaked under-tail coverts in juv plumage; neither Sharpie nor Coop do. Additionally -- 

3 hours ago, simonthetanner said:

no pale bar on greater coverts

I vote for Sharpie, given the relatively large eye on the small head, the "dirty" sides/flanks creating no contrast with wing, and -- visible in the first pic -- the terminus on the outermost rectrix being outside of the feather shaft. Finally, overall NOGO shape is much more like that of Sharpie than of Coop.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Goshawks typically have heavily streaked under-tail coverts in juv plumage; neither Sharpie nor Coop do. Additionally -- 

I vote for Sharpie, given the relatively large eye on the small head, the "dirty" sides/flanks creating no contrast with wing, and -- visible in the first pic -- the terminus on the outermost rectrix being outside of the feather shaft. Finally, overall NOGO shape is much more like that of Sharpie than of Coop.

Agreed. I’m with sharpie for this, but I very well could be wrong.