Whatbird Community

Today's Confirmations/Uncertainties

3 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

1: Mottled Ducks, American Black Ducks aren't typically found in Florida in the summer months.

2: Yup

3: Definitely Willet, and I'm pretty sure its of the Western Ssp.

We called them Mottled Ducks in the field but got a warning from ebird.  Then we looked them up and the thought maybe we were wrong since the bill color of the female was described as orange/yellow at the tip for the Mottleds.  Really confused now...

53 minutes ago, floraphile said:

We called them Mottled Ducks in the field but got a warning from ebird.  Then we looked them up and the thought maybe we were wrong since the bill color of the female was described as orange/yellow at the tip for the Mottleds.  Really confused now...

It could possibly be an immature bird, it’s just too dark to be a Mallard I think. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Aren't hybrids common down there?

I was wondering about that.  I am not experienced enough to make the call, though. Mottled Duck (and Black also) would be Lifers.    

2 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I was wondering about that.  I am not experienced enough to make the call, though. Mottled Duck (and Black also) would be Lifers.    

That’s why range maps are included in field guides and why locations can be critical for solving ID questions here on Whatbird.

As far as actual ID pointers, note the pale internal markings on the body feathers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peromyscus said:

I'm curious, what makes this bird a western Willet?

Pretty sure, not entirely. I thought it looked too pale for Eastern at first, but I may have been mistaken. I’d love confirmation/correction from anyone with more experience.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

Look like fine MODUs

@Tony LeukeringAny idea why ebird would tag this sighting as "Rare"?  Their own range map of the MODU shows the area where I was birding to be well within the year-round range, and MODUs have been seen at the specific site in the last few days.  

Edited by floraphile
typo

10 hours ago, floraphile said:

@Tony LeukeringAny idea why ebird would tag this sighting as "Rare"?  Their own range map of the MODU shows the area where I was birding to be well within the year-round range, and MODUs have been seen at the specific site in the last few days.  

Yes. Relative to hybrids, "pure" Mottled Ducks are fairly rare in Pinellas and there are a lot of MODU-like hybrids that most birders were IDing as MODUs. Zeroing the filter forces observers to provide details.

Microsoft Word - eBird ID_MODU.docx

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Microsoft Word - eBird ID_MODU.docx

It isn't one of my typical Northwest ID challenges, but I found this essay to be very interesting and informative. Thank you for posting, I'll have to bookmark it for a future FL trip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RCD said:

It isn't one of my typical Northwest ID challenges, but I found this essay to be very interesting and informative. Thank you for posting, I'll have to bookmark it for a future FL trip.

Unfortunately, that essay is a bit dated. Recent studies have shown that first-year male MODUs (and MEDUs) can have a slight curl in the tail and one or two other features that are often associated with hybrids. One or a few of the birds in the photos in that essay might be good MODUs.