Whatbird Community

Black-colored birds #1

Lexington County, central SC.  February 5th, 2021.  A large open field of several dozen acres, mowed, partially shade by a grove of pecan trees.

I spotted a flock of several hundred mixed black-colored birds on my way home from work.  I originally marked most of them as Common Grackles but I'm reconsidering.  They're roughly the same size as the female RWBL in the same photo (not included), and the tails look squared off.  I never considered Rustys until reviewing these today; cut me some slack, it was a rough day at work and I've only knowingly seen one before.

All pictures are of different birds.

Thanks.

image.png.c6c8d245b5ad6125c9145011ce37ab0e.png

image.png.eaa2fc8c9f2da463336bff825ad24cb5.png

image.png.8bc05661b475f87cdf98c7e071dbef31.png

These technically aren't lifers but they're close enough.  I've ID'ed only one Rusty before.  It was several years ago in flock of Red-Wingeds browsing rapidly across my back yard.  I have a second one listed that I misidentified as a COGR and a reviewer had to correct me.

It's a bit embarrassing because I routinely forget Rustys exist.  I was determined to not rush through the photos of this flock, but I found the task intimidating and I've been putting it off for months.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Given these views, definitely ruling out Brewer's Blackbird would be tricky if not impossible.

EBird shows only five reports of Brewer's in SC in Dec-Feb the last ten years, all of them at least 50 miles to the southeast.  There's only been one sighting in the county ever.  The bar chart was tastefully minimalist.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You're alive!  How's the spring and summer been treating you?

Hi, Charlie. I've been busy. But I did manage to add 8 lifers this year. In April and May- Eared Grebe, Common Merganser, Common Raven, and Dickcissel. Now I'm ready for Fall sparrows and warblers!

Edited by HamRHead
  • Like 5

6 dollars ladies and gentlemen! Do I hear 6 dollars for this valuable blackbird?!?  Note it's beautiful black colored body with rust brown mixed in. Surly I hear more than 5 dollars! Do I hear 5 and a half? Five and a quarter? Going once. Going twice...

• Haha 8

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

6 dollars ladies and gentlemen! Do I hear 6 dollars for this valuable blackbird?!?  Note it's beautiful black colored body with rust brown mixed in. Surly I hear more than 5 dollars! Do I hear 5 and a half? Five and a quarter? Going once. Going twice...

That's not a valuable blackbird.  THIS is a valuable blackbird.  Although you did nail the description.

image.jpeg.32dcf2d38edfade917dfcbae828ae0cc.jpeg

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 9

43 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I didn’t know you were an auctioneer! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

EBird shows only five reports of Brewer's in SC in Dec-Feb the last ten years, all of them at least 50 miles to the southeast.  There's only been one sighting in the county ever.  The bar chart was tastefully minimalist.

Oh, I understand. I was just saying... er... writing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1