Whatbird Community

Could this be house finch?

There's a lot less color on a House Finch and more brown.  Also, look at the bill.  This is a blackbird's general-purpose bill (orioles are in the Icteridae family), not a finch's blunter, thicker seed-cracking bill.  And while size is difficult to judge, finches are generally half the size of orioles.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Baltimore_Oriole/overview

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/house_finch, although the red shown in this example can also be orange or yellow.

• Like 6

Thanks for the replies.  House finch was obviously way off. 

Extreme novice me thought that a Baltimore oriole is more vividly black and orange than the bird whose picture I posted.   But following up on your corrections I see that the female (as is the case with so many birds) has duller colors.  So do you agree that it's a female Baltimore oriole? (I've seen male Baltimore orioles at this location and nearby over the years, but don't recall seeing this less vividly colored one. ).

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Mark Ladenson said:

But following up on your corrections I see that the female (as is the case with so many birds) has duller colors. 

Exactly.  It's great you picked up that this only applies to 'many birds'.  It definitely doesn't apply to all birds.  In some species, both sexes are identical.

So yes, this is a female Baltimore Oriole. We were all novices once; none of us were born knowing this stuff!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...