Whatbird Community

Merlin App now claims to ID birdsong

Got the below email today. Haven't tried it yet so can't speak to how well it works. I'm awful at birding by ear though so hope it works!!  Thought others that hadn't heard would be interested too;

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology Logo
A Common Yellowthroat bird singing. Text:

As a Merlin user we wanted you to be the first to know about the newest feature in Merlin. 

Have you ever heard a bird song and wondered who’s singing? Well wonder no more! Whether it’s the bird you hear every day in your yard or a song you’ve never heard before, Merlin Bird ID can help you identify who’s singing. Just pull out your smartphone, press record, and watch as Merlin shows matches in real time. 

Merlin can now help you identify the songs and calls of 400+ species in the United States and Canada (with more species and regions coming soon). With a couple of taps you’ll unlock a whole new world of bird songs. Merlin’s newest feature is sure to improve your birding skills and give you a new superpower—identifying birds by ear. Every species you identify with the new Sound ID feature can also be saved to your life list, and you’ll be able to share the recordings you make with friends and family.  

Merlin’s new feature was made possible by thousands of citizen scientists who contributed recordings to the Macaulay Library and shared their bird sightings with eBird, breakthroughs in machine learning and artificial intelligence, volunteers who spent countless hours training Merlin, and our supporters. We could not have done it without you! 

Get the Sound ID update for iOS or Android

Enjoy the bird songs of summer, 

drew weber signature1

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yeah , haven't given it much of a try yet. It did get American Redstart without a problem but missed when I played a recording of a King Rail I have. Don't think there's anything out there yet that's going to be foolproof, the technology just isn't there yet. All for anything that helps though.

1 hour ago, stitch58 said:

Yeah , haven't given it much of a try yet. It did get American Redstart without a problem but missed when I played a recording of a King Rail I have. Don't think there's anything out there yet that's going to be foolproof, the technology just isn't there yet. All for anything that helps though.

Part of it is that they only have ~400 species so far, and are missing many western species.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried it in central SC a few weeks ago.  It nailed the Carolina Wren.

It identified a second bird as a Wood Thrush.  I can't confirm its accuracy on that one, since I don't know what one sounds like.  There were at least eight sample sounds accompanying the ID, but none of the first five matched the call I was hearing.  After five, something moved in the bushes and I forgot about the app until now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tried it in southern BC. It got Anna’s Hummer, California and Glaucous-winged gulls, crow. Missed flicker and few gulls in background of crow recording. Claimed Peregrine x 2 different recordings. I’ll check with someone else on Peregrine, didn’t here it but lots of gulls in background. 

I've been using this quite a bit to help learn bird songs.  It gets most of them but as posted above, misses some, not all birds are in there and has given me a few that I don't think were correct.  But most it's identified and I've tracked down have been on the money.  Mostly used in southern AZ.

But I did have an American Robin in my backyard in Reno, NV yapping up a storm with some odd song I've never hear and Merlin had no idea what it was though the recording was very loud and clear.  So I'm guessing some of the species claimed to be covered in Merlin aren't fully covered.  I had to see the Robin's mouth moving to believe it was an American Robin, I grew up with them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...