Whatbird Community

Southern CA Bird

I spotted this one today in Costa Mesa, CA, actually there were two.  Sadly the photos more from the side were nice photos of leaves with a blurry bird.  Did have wing bars, legs were definitely blue-ish and bit of an eye ring.  Other than that pretty bland.  Was definitely leaning toward Hutton's Vireo but worried about the skinny bill in the "from below" shot.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

HuttonsVireo b 23JUN21.jpg

HuttonsVireo a 23JUN21.jpg

56 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

It's got white outer webs to the outermost rectrices, which are also too long for any member of Vireo.

Agreed. And as an aside, the rictal bristles are pretty pronounced, which I have never noted on a HUVI (although they do have them). It's an empid.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Or Cordilleran. They look identical. I just love epidonax flycatchers. They're so fun to identify.

Not in Costs Mesa during summer. There is only 1 costal record of COFL in California that I know of (not on eBird).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Or Cordilleran. They look identical. I just love epidonax flycatchers. They're so fun to identify.

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not in Costs Mesa during summer. There is only 1 costal record of COFL in California that I know of (not on eBird).

I was just going to say something similar. During the breeding season they are never found away from the far eastern edge of the state. In the fall, there are presumed to be a small number of COFL which may show up coastally on their southern migration, but they are not reliably ID'ed in the field.

How do you know of a coastal record that is not in eBird? Would be quite an exceptional observation.

4 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

On John Sterling's website there's a report of a singing COFL found by Rich Stalcup in 80's at one of the ranches.

Can you link it here? Should probably be in eBird. Wonder if it was submitted to NAB?

3 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Can you link it here? Should probably be in eBird. Wonder if it was submitted to NAB?

Let me see if I can find it, it was not in an obvious spot on his website. There are a few records that should be in ebird that are missing that I've found, as well as some species that no longer occur in the county.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Someone still needs to check San Geronimo Ridge. That's a lot of good habitat that hasn't been checked in a long time.

I’m happy to since I’m on summer break. I know of a couple of places they may be that either haven’t ever been checked or not in a long time. I just haven’t found the time to go.

1 minute ago, DLecy said:

I’m happy to since I’m on summer break. I know of a couple of places they may be that either haven’t ever been checked or not in a long time. I just haven’t found the time to go.

Let me know if your heading somewhere. I'm free most days until the evening and might bike up there. Anyways, its one of the most feasible of the extirpated breeding Marin birds. (Thrasher, Bell's Sparrow, Greater Roadrunner, Condor, a few seabirds).

• Like 3