Whatbird Community

Seen this morning in East SF Bay hillside.  The first four pictures, incl the one flying, are the same bird.  Swainson's due to the white on the face?  Peterson's seems to show a different color on the chest.

The final picture in the green tree is a tougher one due to distance.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

DSC08357 - Copy.JPG

DSC08370 - Copy.JPG

DSC08373 - Copy.JPG

DSC08386 copy.jpg

DSC08506 - Copy.JPG

They are both Red-tailed with the dark patagium (seen in-flight) and the belly band. Western birds are more brown like the last bird. Also notice the wing length. Swainson's have wings extending past the tip of the tail when perched.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Liam said:

They are both Red-tailed with the dark patagium (seen in-flight) and the belly band. Western birds are more brown like the last bird. Also notice the wing length. Swainson's have wings extending past the tip of the tail when perched.

I am glad to see on @Liam!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Dude!  Did you get some new paper for your wall?

• Like 2

Thanks! Good to be back! 

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Dude!  Did you get some new paper for your wall?

I graduated with my BS in Ecology 3 years ago now! Now I'm back in school for my masters... It never ends...lol

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Liam said:

Thanks! Good to be back! 

I graduated with my BS in Ecology 3 years ago now! Now I'm back in school for my masters... It never ends...lol

Yeah, it was the Master's I was asking about.  You'd mentioned you were working on it a few months ago but not how far along you were.

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2021 at 4:55 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Yeah, it was the Master's I was asking about.  You'd mentioned you were working on it a few months ago but not how far along you were.

Good luck!

I graduate in May 2022, so it's coming up!

• Like 7