Whatbird Community

Coastal NC bird

Thanks all. I’d originally put them down as house sparrows for my eBird report. But the more I looked at the photos the less they looked like house sparrows to me. But with all the consensus here I’ll stick to my original report 😉

Last week I spent 15 minutes stalking movement through wax myrtles alongside an southeastern NC estuary, hoping for something specific to that environment.   Three guesses what it turned out to be. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Last week I spent 15 minutes stalking movement through wax myrtles alongside an southeastern NC estuary, hoping for something specific to that environment.   Three guesses what it turned out to be. 

Ivory-billed Woodpecker??? 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Brown-headed Cowbird?

• Haha 1

Northern Mockingbird?

• Haha 1

House Sparrow 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

My first thought too, but a female rose-breasted would not be described as little, as these birds are relatively large.

Size is notoriously difficult to judge in the field, especially unfamiliar birds in unfamiliar environments.  No disrespect to scalll0way but I suggest avoiding using a new poster's assessment as a determining factor. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Size is notoriously difficult to judge in the field, especially unfamiliar birds in unfamiliar environments.  No disrespect to scalll0way but I suggest avoiding using a new poster's assessment as a determining factor. 

You're right. It is more reliable to use sparrow-robin-crow reference comparisons.