Whatbird Community

Coastal NC bird

Haha, I didn’t know my question would spark so many replies. The birds I saw were certainly sparrow-sized. HOSP was my best guess though I’m not used to seeing HOSPs at the beach. 

But in the few days I’ve been here now I’ve actually seen plenty of HOSPs right here at the beach. Back home I only ever see them at the local shopping center. And such a common bird they are instantly recognizable, which these birds I photographed were not.

The color looked so off for one thing, but I’m well aware how a trick of the lighting can make the color look off also. 

12 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Size is notoriously difficult to judge in the field, especially unfamiliar birds in unfamiliar environments.  No disrespect to scalll0way but I suggest avoiding using a new poster's assessment as a determining factor. 

I totally agree that size can be extremely difficult to judge. It’s stumped me many times. But I’m not exactly “new” here either. I’ve posted here many times over many years - on and off.  But somehow my ID seemed to have vanished some time ago. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scall0way said:

I totally agree that size can be extremely difficult to judge. It’s stumped me many times. But I’m not exactly “new” here either. I’ve posted here many times over many years - on and off.  But somehow my ID seemed to have vanished some time ago. 😉

There was a crash in 2018 and everything was lost.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Last week I spent 15 minutes stalking movement through wax myrtles alongside an southeastern NC estuary, hoping for something specific to that environment.   Three guesses what it turned out to be. 

Okay, we give up. What was it?

• Haha 5