Whatbird Community

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered (thanks to my favorite photography YouTuber, Duade Paton) DxO PureRAW, another program that does an excellent job at removing noise and preserving detail.  I think DxO PureRAW might be better than Topaz DeNoise.  I don't take photos with super high ISO, so I'm wondering if @Connor Cochrane could give it a try, if you haven't already.  There is a free 31 day trial.

titmousephotocomparison.thumb.jpg.5d2979b8602f9b061eefc2c66be6ee5b.jpg

Edited by The Bird Nuts
I realize my example is highly compressed and doesn't show how well PureRAW worked..
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm glad to read that because I couldn't see any difference!

Sorry, my bad.  I don't want to upload a huge file.  Is this better?  One cool thing about this software is it makes adjustments according to the camera and lens used and it also fixes the exposure automatically.

tutiphotocomparison2.thumb.jpg.d4ec2439ce2eb3842ff4fa93a2a97c87.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
28 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Do any of these de-noiser programs play better with the Canon RAW files, than LR does?

Topaz Denoise, which I occasionally use on JPGs, claims to work best with raw files before any other processing is done. I can't speak on how it compares to LR though. I am no longer a fan of processing my own photos so I have been shooting in both raw and JPG and mostly ignoring the raw files so I'm probably not too helpful here.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I've sued Topaz for awhile but now I'm upgrading to DxO pure raw. They give you a month free trial where you don't have to enter your credit card info, I would recommend trying it, the results are much better than topaz IMO.

Yep, I switched to DxO PureRAW as well, but had to buy a new computer to run it well (went from 8 minutes to 14 seconds to process one photo!).  I might use Topaz occasionally for when I want more control and for .jpegs (I feel like I need to use it because I paid a lot for it ?).

Edited by The Bird Nuts

On 3/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

I've sued Topaz for awhile but now I'm upgrading to DxO pure raw. They give you a month free trial where you don't have to enter your credit card info, I would recommend trying it, the results are much better than topaz IMO.

I've given it a try.  I was pretty impressed with what it could do with a couple of crappy pics.  Compared it to low effort LR tweaking.  The first set, the DxO pic almost looks fake.  Even before the LR tweak.  Not so fake looking on the second pic.  I've got 30 more days to play around with it, so will keep giving it a go.  

lr-dxo-comparison_orig.jpg

I'm curious as to what people see as the benefits and drawbacks of both Topaz DeNoise and DxO PureRAW? I haven't used both programs with fidelity for long enough to really comment, but wondering if anyone on here has? Would appreciate any comments or feedback, particularly with regards PureRAW, since I know Topaz well.

• 1 year later...

Are there any de-noise programs for mobile devices (iPhone)? I’ve gotten extremely lazy with photography in general so most of my photos are pretty noisy and I do most of my editing on my phone. I shoot jpeg though so that might make denoise software ineffective. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Are there any de-noise programs for mobile devices (iPhone)? I’ve gotten extremely lazy with photography in general so most of my photos are pretty noisy and I do most of my editing on my phone. I shoot jpeg though so that might make denoise software ineffective. 

I have the same issue on my iPad. I’ve yet to find an app that’s good enough at removing noise but keeping the details. I don’t have a computer.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, Colton V said:

Actually, I just found a really good app. It’s called Remini. While it’s nowhere as good as topaz or DXO pure raw, it’s the best throng for iPad or iPhone that I’ve found, hands down. It also applies some color changes to the photos.  I suggest cropping the photo first, and then running it through the app, and then doing the rest of your editing. 

When you run a photo through it, make sure to hit “multiple results” instead of “enhance”. When you do multiple results, it’s still enhancing the photo, but will give you three different options to choose from. “Enhance” just gives you one standard option.

It also does better on some images than other. Make sure you look at the 3 different options before you save the photo. 

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 3