Whatbird Community

Speculative Colorado trip

Seanbirds

On 6/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, Seanbirds said:

Definitely going to these three. What’s the best higher-elevation coniferous forest spot around there?

On 6/30/2021 at 7:17 AM, Seanbirds said:

Particularly Spruce-Fir/Lodgepole Pine. 😉

Anyone???

All good suggestions above. I did most of my birding on the Plains in El Paso County so I can't add much unless you envision going east. Then I highly suggest Chico Basin Ranch for Scaled Quail, Curve-billed Thrasher, Canyon Towhee and maybe Cassin's Sparrow. Bird the roads leading to the Ranch also, Hanover Rd. especially. The ranch is a migrant trap so several warblers... are possible. Ramah Reservoir was also a favorite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Clip said:

All good suggestions above. I did most of my birding on the Plains in El Paso County so I can't add much unless you envision going east. Then I highly suggest Chico Basin Ranch for Scaled Quail, Curve-billed Thrasher, Canyon Towhee and maybe Cassin's Sparrow. Bird the roads leading to the Ranch also, Hanover Rd. especially. The ranch is a migrant trap so several warblers... are possible. Ramah Reservoir was also a favorite. 

It appears Chico is still open. Last I was there they did charge $15.00 a head unless you had 5 or more then $10.00 a head. Honor system.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, Seanbirds said:

Yeah, I know some of these are gonna be really tough, but...

Dusky Grouse

Flammulated Owl

American Three-toed Woodpecker

Williamson's and/or Red-naped Sapsuckers

Clark's Nutcracker

Canada Jay

Mountain/Western Bluebirds

Townsend's Solitaire

American Dipper

Bushtit

Whatever Western Warblers (MacGillivray's, Townsend's, Virginia's, etc.)

Red Crossbill

Cassin's Finch

These are the big ones.

This is very similar to my Utah wish list for our August trip, so I appreciate you posting and everyone's input, especially @Tony Leukeringfor the habitat clues.  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, BlueJay said:

You know it's a good bird when you've never even heard of it.😜

Hubby said "Flammulated Owl" sounded like something you would order at a high-priced Parisian bistro.  😬

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, Clip said:

It appears Chico is still open. Last I was there they did charge $15.00 a head unless you had 5 or more then $10.00 a head. Honor system.

Who ever heard of someone having five heads, and if someone did I would hope they would get charged less, poor person!

• Haha 9

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Staying at Woodland Park, going birding at Garden of the Gods Friday morning, Aiken Canyon Preserve Saturday afternoon, Red Rock Canyon Open Space Sunday Morning.

I doubt that I will be able to go any of those places. I will be busy at a family reunion those days.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Staying at Woodland Park, going birding at Garden of the Gods Friday morning, Aiken Canyon Preserve Saturday afternoon, Red Rock Canyon Open Space Sunday Morning.

sounds like some fun places, though! have fun!

• Thanks 1