Whatbird Community

Advice & Tips for Costa Rica Birding

floraphile

We are planning a birding trip to Costa Rica sometime in the next 12 months.  When is the best time to go in order to see neotropicals (the correct term?) I would never see in the states?  

@Connor Cochrane--I saw you just returned from there.  Any tips?

@Aveschapines--since I've not taken the trip, I wasn't sure where to post this, since the "Trips" thread refers to completed trips.  It can be moved there if more suitable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, floraphile said:

We are planning a birding trip to Costa Rica sometime in the next 12 months.  When is the best time to go in order to see neotropicals (the correct term?) I would never see in the states?  

@Connor Cochrane--I saw you just returned from there.  Any tips?

@Aveschapines--since I've not taken the trip, I wasn't sure where to post this, since the "Trips" thread refers to completed trips.  It can be moved there if more suitable.

I posted a similar thread about advice on Colorado hotspots and birds in the "trips" thread. I think it would be fine for it to be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

Most of the birds that we don't have in the US are permanent residents in Costa Rica. There are very few tropical birds in Costa Rica that migrate (some that I can think off the top of my head are Yellow-green Vireo and Piratic Flycatcher). Winter or Migration would be the best time to maximize species count, as you can see all the migrants as well as the local birds. However, winter is the dry season, so that means there are a lot more tourists then the summer (the wet season). I'll probably start my trip report soon.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Thank you, @Connor Cochrane, for the advice.  We are going in February.  I am going with another novice birder, but we will have a guide, and I purchased Kricher's book that @Tony Leukeringrecommended as well as a couple of field guides recommended by our birder group.   I can't wait!

Have fun!

• Like 5