Whatbird Community

Rufous or Allen’s Hummingbird

Personally I though it looked more like the juvenile male Rufous Hummingbird tail in the following comparison (automatically imbedded itself from the link): rualmobirds1.jpg

Of course, I’ve been wrong before. I’m just wondering what field marks are supporting Allen’s over Rufous for this bird? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Because usually Allen's male has a green, not orange back and very narrow outer tail feathers. (Though feathering variable).

Allen’s always has a green back, and so do female and immature Rufous Hummingbirds. 

3 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Allen’s always has a green back, and so do female and immature Rufous Hummingbirds. 

Thinking that it looks more like female Allen's now, because of white tips of tail feathers. I could be wrong, but I'm ruling out female Rufous because female Allen's usually has more rufous in the rump, more like this bird.

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Thinking that it looks more like female Allen's now, because of white tips of tail feathers. 

It’s a juvenile male not a female. I am actually trying to get help here 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Why juvenile male not female?

Because the central tail feathers are orange without green, and because there is bleeding of the black into the white tips on the outer tail feathers

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Why Allen’s? Also, am I correct that it’s an immature male?

I'm not great at telling apart the two species, but the R2 appears to be slimmer than the R1, which seems to match Allen's better. The R2 in the Rufous appears to be the thickest tail feather, but in your photo the R1 seems larger than the R2 which I would say looks better for Allen's. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I’d lean Rufous here. R2 seems somewhat notched, but it’s hard to tell. 

I think you are looking at R1. R2 doesn't seem to be notched at all to my eyes. A good clean look at R5 would help but I think the length of R4 relative to R3 and the width of R5 (from what I can tell) would lead me to believe this is an Allen's. Although, some birds require in-hand measurements to confirm. RUHU/ALHU is always an honorable option.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DLecy said:

I think you are looking at R1. R2 doesn't seem to be notched at all to my eyes. A good clean look at R5 would help but I think the length of R4 relative to R3 and the width of R5 (from what I can tell) would lead me to believe this is an Allen's. Although, some birds require in-hand measurements to confirm. RUHU/ALHU is always an honorable option.

You're right. I looked too quickly. I retract my suggestion.