Whatbird Community
bearcat6

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Not the best photo, but its a photographic lifer, and only the second one I have seen!

Spotted Towhee!

DSCN9289.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pictaker said:

Yellow Crowned Night Heron displaying

49794644986_ef78d602cd_b.jpg

how do you get so close?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Male Black-chinned Hummingbird silhouette.

DSCN9398.JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Johnd said:

how do you get so close?

It’s a rookery unlike any rookery you have seen, the birds nest in trees next to a elevated bridge so you are looking down or level at them. We have both night herons, glossy ibis,great egrets,snowy egrets, little blue herons, and I think one pair of tri colors nested there last year. The trouble this year is the shutdown over the corona virus. The birds are starting to arrive and will be in full nesting mode by May, but the bridge is shutdown for now, I managed a few shots before it closed....look me up if your ever back east in the summer months, great place to take pics!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pictaker said:

It’s a rookery unlike any rookery you have seen, the birds nest in trees next to a elevated bridge so you are looking down or level at them. We have both night herons, glossy ibis,great egrets,snowy egrets, little blue herons, and I think one pair of tri colors nested there last year. The trouble this year is the shutdown over the corona virus. The birds are starting to arrive and will be in full nesting mode by May, but the bridge is shutdown for now, I managed a few shots before it closed....look me up if your ever back east in the summer months, great place to take pics!

Sounds Interesting but i haven't been in NE since i was 7.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, Kevin said:

Not the best photo, but its a photographic lifer, and only the second one I have seen!

Spotted Towhee!

DSCN9289.JPG

It's so interesting to me how much difference location can make. I see those almost daily around here in the northwest, but will probably never see a Northern Cardinal like I used to in Illinois. The Towhees are one of my favorite birds out here. Their eye color just stands out so much.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, Bird Brain said:

I remember you from before  @-Easton- Welcome back!!! Awesome photos!! I'm out of likes, as usual. Where were the 2 above photos taken?

The first one was taken at Devils Canyon in Montana and the second one was in The Grand Tetons in Wyoming. 

One from yesterday. Poor photo but you don't get long with warblers, literally a few seconds that it was next to the trail marker with the bird insignia.

This inspired me to make a separate posting about this particular trail.

image.thumb.jpeg.338610dd623b1f1cdd4c2d300a38ced4.jpeg

• Like 8

2 Le Conte's Thrasher chicks buried about 1-1/2 ft deep in a very unfriendly Cholla  Cactus. Yucca Valley April 22 2020.

Camera .....Sony A7ll  with 28/70 mm lens.

resize_DSC03730 1.jpg

• Like 4