Whatbird Community
bearcat6

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

My nemesis bird

Have you ever seen one?

33 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Have you ever seen one?

Not seen or heard. Not in the long time I lived on the east coast, not at there so cal colonies, not on my trips back to the east coast. I’ve had real bad luck with them

On 7/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, SirVive said:

She's a golden frizz-crested bird of paradise who needed a bowie knife to help her out of the shell due to her insisting on standing upright and eating all her egg white too quickly. Stewed for 39 weeks for a grand total of 7.3lbs - 1 1/2 weeks and a full pound more than her older sister👍

Love your little nestling! Good thing she's a bird; that procedure is considerably more complicated for human babies...

I refused to stop sitting down and position myslef for the proper head-first dive; but they didn't use the bowie knife extraction back in those days. I was just under 10 pounds. My mother never forgave me LOL! 

15 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

. I was just under 10 pounds. My mother never forgave me LOL! 

😣

On 7/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, SirVive said:

She's a golden frizz-crested bird of paradise who needed a bowie knife to help her out of the shell due to her insisting on standing upright and eating all her egg white too quickly. Stewed for 39 weeks for a grand total of 7.3lbs - 1 1/2 weeks and a full pound more than her older sister👍

LOL, congrats!!  She's is the cutest golden frizz-crested bird of paradise I've ever seen!

8 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

I refused to stop sitting down and position myslef for the proper head-first dive

That means you more resembled the frog family for the first few weeks  😊  Can you still scratch behind your ears with your toes?🤔:classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SirVive said:

That means you more resembled the frog family for the first few weeks  😊  Can you still scratch behind your ears with your toes?🤔:classic_laugh:

No, those days are long gone 😄 But I did frog-sit (legs in a W position) when I was a kid, until I was told to stop when I was diagnosed with scoliosis.

From this morning--a pair of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks with 13 chicks. I'm not sure where these nested but they often nest in tree cavities.

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 1 7-18-20.JPG

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 2 7-18-20.JPG

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 3 7-18-20.JPG

• Like 11

On 7/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, Kevin said:

A pair of Yellow-billed Cuckoos. 

DSCN2000.JPG

DSCN1968.JPG

What's that he's got? ^

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johnd said:

What's that he's got? ^

Grasshopper.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

I was trying to figure that out too; I didn't notice the legs, and it looked like a fish with a really weird tail! When I see them here they chow down on caterpillars.

This elegant Brown Pelican has a fishing lure caught in its right wing, as shown in one of these photos (taken by my daughter). International Bird Rescue in the Bay area has been made aware.

Brown Pelican 4.jpg

Brown Pelican with lure.jpg

Brown Pelican 1.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Not the best quality, but a pretty bird.

DSCN1958.JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 9

On 7/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, Aveschapines said:

I was trying to figure that out too; I didn't notice the legs, and it looked like a fish with a really weird tail! When I see them here they chow down on caterpillars.

There is not a lot of caterpillars around right now, but there is no shortage of grasshoppers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pictaker said:

Boat tailed Puffin... ; )

109992080_480816382790947_16485061348840

Nice shot! How does he manage to get his beak that full and still catch another without losing any ? !!!

13 hours ago, pictaker said:

Boat tailed Puffin... ; )

109992080_480816382790947_16485061348840

How is it even holding on the that last one?

• Like 1