Whatbird Community
bearcat6

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

You may have noticed a theme developing but as well as being in my overall top ten of favourite birds they are now my  Number 1 for entertainment value (if you get a chance just watch them for a while).

This one snagged a crayfish and resisted several sibling attacks (including grabbing its miniscule wing and trying to drag it underwater) before needing several attempts to swallow it.

They are amazingly self confident at this age - one of the chicks had a confrontation with a Canada Goose and the goose backed off (the adults routinely chased off Mute Swans).

Pied-billed Grebe chick crawfish HVT-7230374.jpg

• Like 17

20 hours ago, SirVive said:

Nice shot! How does he manage to get his beak that full and still catch another without losing any ? !!!

She is hunting on the edge of a marsh, there are plenty of tide pools that have small fish in them, some because of the heat have already gone belly up so she just picks them up one by one and flys them over to the nest..

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

How is it even holding on the that last one?

It’s beak is long, just lost depth of field with the shot, she was pretty close...

Cowbird's aren't my favorite, but I was entertained watching an adult Chipping Sparrow feeding this young Cowbird.  Of course the Cowbird was much larger than the Sparrow.  My shots of the two together didn't come out, but I got a good sharp photo of the Cowbird.

Brown-headed Cowbird

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

Male Indigo Bunting

IMG_2984.JPG

That is a Blue Grosbeak.😉

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

Tonight is the first time the juvenile Great Horned Owls came to the yard before dark. It gave a chance to get some better pics of them playing.

owlgood1.JPG

• Like 16

I happened to catch these two immature Bald Eagles in a little squabble of a food tidbit. This was taken in Vermont

73DFAC99-83B9-422F-9699-6434F6F7724C.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Melody said:

I happened to catch these two immature Bald Eagles in a little squabble for a food tidbit. This was taken in Vermont

73DFAC99-83B9-422F-9699-6434F6F7724C.jpeg

Spruce Grouse. I have seen them before (maybe when I was 10) but this was the first time I could report one to eBird! So friendly 

6CEDD40F-1D4F-40A9-B1E8-56D0450DEC45.jpeg

• Like 6