Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

2 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I dunno, I guess maybe they’re tamer in Florida or something? I got within 15ft of this guy and several dozen of his buddies! And within 20 ft of an Iceland gull 😉

And to be clear, I wasn’t harassing them or anything, most were happily preening throughout the duration or just resting. Unlike a couple other beachgoers who purposely flushed the flock several times after I had started walking back.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cerulean Warbler

From a couple days ago - Mourning Dove carrying nesting material: And a Cedar Waxwing:

Pied Billed Grebe struggling with a fish I didn't think was going to make it down it's throat.  Took about 10 minutes, but it proved me wrong!   https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/317620821#_ga=2.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I dunno, I guess maybe they’re tamer in Florida or something? I got within 15ft of this guy and several dozen of his buddies! And within 20 ft of an Iceland gull 😉

All animals are tamer in Florida! :classic_dry:

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

All animals are tamer in Florida! :classic_dry:

So true, especially with Shore/waterbirds. I wasn’t prepared for a willets and sanderlings to trot right by me, often too close for my camera to focus on them!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Many years ago in the Everglades I made a head & shoulders portrait of a Black Skimmer with a 90mm lens.

2 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Regarding shorebirds along the Gulf Coast (my experience is AL to FL), I've not had problems with "beach" birds getting skittish--neither when being photographed, nor when sharing their beach with us while we lounge, walk, swim, etc.  As long as they are not chased, they don't seem to mind us at all.  Are the birds less comfortable with humans elsewhere? 

Edited by floraphile
clarity
6 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Regarding shorebirds along the Gulf Coast (my experience is AL to FL), I've not had problems with "beach" birds getting skittish--neither when being photographed, nor when sharing their beach with us while we lounge, walk, swim, etc. 

This is true about Gulf Coast TX as well. Those birds are so chill!

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/326901261#_ga=2.232903198.1833662535.1618758577-1918165973.1618181549

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Are the birds less comfortable with humans elsewhere? 

Yes, apparently.  Great Blue Herons are very skittish here.  Sometimes they're gone if they see me 80 yards away!

Edited by The Bird Nuts
2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, apparently.  Great Blue Herons are very skittish here.  Sometimes they're gone if they see me 80 yards away!

Interesting.  Sounds like a good project for a grad student.  

I will say that the high comfort level with human presence does not extend to the woodland birds.  They scatter even from the feeders if I am not very slow & careful looking through the window.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, floraphile said:

Regarding shorebirds along the Gulf Coast (my experience is AL to FL), I've not had problems with "beach" birds getting skittish--neither when being photographed, nor when sharing their beach with us while we lounge, walk, swim, etc.  As long as they are not chased, they don't seem to mind us at all.  Are the birds less comfortable with humans elsewhere? 

I do notice a difference between where I live in California and my family in Florida. The birds certainly seem to be more tame there. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, floraphile said:

Interesting.  Sounds like a good project for a grad student.  

I will say that the high comfort level with human presence does not extend to the woodland birds.  They scatter even from the feeders if I am not very slow & careful looking through the window.

In the RGV in Texas, I watched (while sitting outside) Plain Chachalacas, White-tipped Doves, Green Jays, Long-billed Thrashers, Orange-crowned Warblers, Olive Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Great-tailed Grackles, Altamira Orioles, and Northern Cardinals all pass within 12 feet of me without the slightest fear. It was amazing!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

In the RGV in Texas, I watched (while sitting outside) Plain Chachalacas, White-tipped Doves, Green Jays, Long-billed Thrashers, Orange-crowned Warblers, Olive Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Great-tailed Grackles, Altamira Orioles, and Northern Cardinals all pass within 12 feet of me without the slightest fear. It was amazing!

Wow!  Most of those would be Lifers for me. 🤩

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Kevin said:

The first time I have seen owl in daylight, other than flying!

2400?__hstc=264660688.c6d67c3f3ff7b02dcb

Barred, right?

On 4/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

I do notice a difference between where I live in California and my family in Florida. The birds certainly seem to be more tame there. 

Same. The closest I’ve been to a passerine is my feeders. Closest to any other birds was all bolsa chica. I can’t imagine how close you must’ve able to get in Florida. 

4 hours ago, IKLland said:
On 4/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

They're probably used to all of the vacationers there.

I noticed a difference just from Vermont to Connecticut. The shorebirds allowed me to get MUCH closer than I would have dared to approach them back home. For example, here is my best rated shorebird pic from VT, taken about 20 feet away after waiting for the bird to walk towards me for 15 minutes:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/259922561#_ga=2.163108660.961668191.1619122990-684935499.1582840862

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

And this is from Connecticut were I walked up about 10 feet away, then laid down and army crawled a little closer. I got tons of great photos, so here is one of my favorites: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/328335901#_ga=2.91189778.961668191.1619122990-684935499.1582840862

Sanderling

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, Avery said:

I noticed a difference just from Vermont to Connecticut. The shorebirds allowed me to get MUCH closer than I would have dared to approach them back home. For example, here is my best rated shorebird pic from VT, taken about 20 feet away after waiting for the bird to walk towards me for 15 minutes:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/259922561#_ga=2.163108660.961668191.1619122990-684935499.1582840862

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

And this is from Connecticut were I walked up about 10 feet away, then laid down and army crawled a little closer. I got tons of great photos, so here is one of my favorites: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/328335901#_ga=2.91189778.961668191.1619122990-684935499.1582840862

Sanderling

Sweet Buffie shot! I've only ever seen one in flight.

• Thanks 1