Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That's a smooth background for 2500 ISO. Did you use any noise removal?

Nope, he was just pretty close. I hardly cropped it at all. I’m not sure why I had my iso so high then, it was pretty sunny out. Probably auto iso decided that was for the dark feathers...I dunno.

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

Nope, he was just pretty close. I hardly cropped it at all. I’m not sure why I had my iso so high then, it was pretty sunny out. Probably auto iso decided that was for the dark feathers...I dunno.

Nice. That's the one problem I have with the 7d mark II, it really doesn't do well over 800 ISO, I have to end up throwing a lot of photos through denoise if I want them to turn out decent. I'm going to have a chance to try out the R5 later this summer, so it'll be interesting comparing it to the mark II to see how it does in low-light situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Nice. That's the one problem I have with the 7d mark II, it really doesn't do well over 800 ISO, I have to end up throwing a lot of photos through denoise if I want them to turn out decent. I'm going to have a chance to try out the R5 later this summer, so it'll be interesting comparing it to the mark II to see how it does in low-light situations.

What denoise program do you use? I know Topaz denoise is a popular choice but I’m curious if there’s other ones. My camera does pretty well in good to decent lighting, but obviously in overcast conditions and with cropping the noise increases. 
And dang, the R5?! That’s completely awesome, I’ve seen some amazing photos produced by photographers with that camera. Are you renting it or something? I hear it’s great with pretty much everything, including low light situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

What denoise program do you use? I know Topaz denoise is a popular choice but I’m curious if there’s other ones. My camera does pretty well in good to decent lighting, but obviously in overcast conditions and with cropping the noise increases. 
And dang, the R5?! That’s completely awesome, I’ve seen some amazing photos produced by photographers with that camera. Are you renting it or something? I hear it’s great with pretty much everything, including low light situations. 

I use Topaz, it's the best I've found and it works pretty well. I'll attach photos of a photo before and after denoise. I'm too lazy to stick them up on another photo hosting website, so beware of the bad quality. As to the camera, I have a family member who has the R5 who said he'd let me try it out when I visit them. 

Edit: You'll have to click on the attached image

1545422744_ScreenShot2021-06-28at6_55_59PM.thumb.png.1eb9c81e8dabaf4dce9264b7b5e9badb.png

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I use Topaz, it's the best I've found and it works pretty well. I'll attach photos of a photo before and after denoise. I'm too lazy to stick them up on another photo hosting website, so beware of the bad quality. As to the camera, I have a family member who has the R5 who said he'd let me try it out when I visit them. 

 

Before Noise Removal:

BHTA.thumb.jpg.822bf5390176327bf99fb6926f477be3.jpg

After Noise Removal:

BHTA-DeNoiseAI-standard.thumb.jpg.4fa6932d5dfa497c75cb6eae00a38f8b.jpg

Thanks, I’ll check out topaz. I can definitely see a huge improvement between your two shots. And nice, hope you get some good practice and shots with that camera. Get some good flight shots for us with that eye tracking autofocus haha. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Thanks, I’ll check out topaz. I can definitely see a huge improvement between your two shots. And nice, hope you get some good practice and shots with that camera. Get some good flight shots for us with that eye tracking autofocus haha. 

I have Topaz Denoise too.  I was a little disappointed after spending so much money.  It's quick and does an okay job as long as you don't look too closely at the photos.  I'm a pixel peeper and I was annoyed by the patterns it produces when used on very noisy photos and it sometimes adds too much sharpening even on the lowest setting.

But you can get the free trial and try it out for yourself.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

I have Topaz Denoise too.  I was a little disappointed after spending so much money.  It's quick and does an okay job as long as you don't look too closely at the photos.  I'm a pixel peeper and I was annoyed by the patterns it produces when used on very noisy photos and it sometimes adds too much sharpening even on the lowest setting.

That is true. On very noisy photos it does often produce a weird pattern in the background, they did just release a 'severe noise' mode which I haven't checked out yet. I'll experiment with some of my 10000 ISO photos from deep in the the jungle right now to see if there is any improvement. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Nice. That's the one problem I have with the 7d mark II, it really doesn't do well over 800 ISO, I have to end up throwing a lot of photos through denoise if I want them to turn out decent. I'm going to have a chance to try out the R5 later this summer, so it'll be interesting comparing it to the mark II to see how it does in low-light situations.

A friend of mine got an R5 not to long ago & I'm totally jealous! Here's a link to his pictures if you'd like to check them out;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenbuckingham/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Visual lifer, Henslow’s Sparrow! Finally, after having them Tzlick at me tantalizingly close in the grass...
Unfortunately it was near noon, so the photo didn’t turn out as well as it could have, but I’m happy regardless. 
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/351190011
2400?__hstc=264660688.8fd0f5b7182114a4a8

I didn’t realize Henslow’s Sparrows made it that far north. I still need it for the ABA (48th top need). I hopefully I can pick it up in Florida this winter, however it’s unlikely. 

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...