Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

37 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Did you use flash to take these?

Yeah, it was pretty late in the evening, near sunset. Unfortunately, the flash cannot sync any faster than 1/200 on the Nikon D3300, so using the flash is tricky. I really do need to upgrade my camera body in the next year or two, with other reasons including better high-ISO performance and a faster burst.

3 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

Yeah, it was pretty late in the evening, near sunset. Unfortunately, the flash cannot sync any faster than 1/200 on the Nikon D3300, so using the flash is tricky. I really do need to upgrade my camera body in the next year or two, with other reasons including better high-ISO performance and a faster burst.

I’d recommend only using flash in certain situations, including owls at night or a situation where the contrast is too strong. The lighting in those titmouse shots is very unnatural.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

I’d recommend only using flash in certain situations, including owls at night or a situation where the contrast is too strong. The lighting in those titmouse shots is very unnatural.

I try to avoid using it unless it's way too dark to shoot otherwise (hence wanting better high-ISO performance), or if I'm shooting into the sun as a fill. I'll bring it when I'm going into dense tree cover, but on a clear day in the open I'll usually leave it in the car. Plus, I feel like overusing it can disturb the birds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zoroark said:

Ah, here's a good comparison. I took the first cardinal shot with flash at the same time as the titmouse. The second one was in the daytime without flash.

The second one is so much better!

• Like 2

The Yellow-crowned Night-Heron was a nice find, especially since Ebird mobile noted it as "infrequent" to the hotspot.  In addition, I got good pictures because the bird was foraging in the middle of the day which is unusual.  I did get my lifer of the species at the same location, but the pics were of the bird and its partner sleeping in a tree, as they normally feed at night.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/442136721

• Like 8