Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I have to get past my issues with higher ISO numbers.  As long as the resulting image looks good on my monitor, who cares what the pixel peepers say?

When you do push your ISO to the higher end, try to expose your subject on the brighter side to avoid the noise that is more pronounced in the darker parts of photos. An under exposed photo with a lower ISO can actually have more noise than a properly exposed, or slightly over exposed photo with a higher ISO. That's right, it might not make sense but sometimes you can actually get less noise with a higher ISO setting, especially if the increased ISO brightens the image and isn't negated by automatic settings that balance the exposure out to the same brightness as the lower ISO settings.

Edit- Manual exposure using the ISO as exposure compensation might be needed in some situations, regular exposure compensation might not be enough at times.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:37 PM, dragon49 said:

Another long walk without a lot of great photos.  I'll go with this Green Heron:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/476900781

Nice.  One of the few photos of a Green Heron where you can actually see the green.

I've seen more Greenies in 2022 than the rest of my life combined.  I don't know what's up but I'm practically tripping over them.  Maybe that's life's trade-off for the limited number of Loggerhead Shrikes this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

When you do push your ISO to the higher end, try to expose your subject on the brighter side to avoid the noise that is more pronounced in the darker parts of photos. An under exposed photo with a lower ISO can actually have more noise than a properly exposed, or slightly over exposed photo with a higher ISO. That's right, it might not make sense but sometimes you can actually get less noise with a higher ISO setting, especially if the increased ISO brightens the image and isn't negated by automatic settings that balance the exposure out to the same brightness as the lower ISO settings.

Edit- Manual exposure using the ISO as exposure compensation might be needed in some situations, regular exposure compensation might not be enough at times.

Well, let's start with adjusting the Auto ISO and raise the max from 800 to 12800.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nice.  One of the few photos of a Green Heron where you can actually see the green.

I've seen more Greenies in 2022 than the rest of my life combined.  I don't know what's up but I'm practically tripping over them.  Maybe that's life's trade-off for the limited number of Loggerhead Shrikes this year.

It's the exact opposite for me. Abundance of shrikes, and not that many green herons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

That's interesting, several of the few I have seen were doing something similar(water hydrants water fountains).  I just thought it was because I was in a state park, lots of people all the time, probably used to coming down and cleaning up the leftovers and such, but I guess it is pretty common for them to be messing around with man made objects? 

• Like 1