Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

This hummingbird was perched on this branch that's near the hummingbird feeder. As I was photographing it, I noticed it looked like it kept dozing off- a hard, busy day of defending the feeder. All of the sudden the mood changed and it began posturing- another hummingbird was in the tree, close to the feeder and this little bird took off like a rocket and returned a few minutes later, and reclaimed the feeder rights, at least for a few minutes.

8_30_2022 Hummingbird DSC_1309.jpg

8_30_2022 Hummingbird resting DSC_1242.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I don't think I've ever showed off a Blue here.  The problem is that when I see them, they are usually so deep in branches, that I can't capture anything good.  This is probably my best all-time Blue Jay Photo.  Time to share the love for the common Blue Jay:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/480882171

Nice! I’d suggest not cutting off the tip of the tail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Listen carefully for their vocalizations and make sure you can distinguish them from White-breasted.

No my issue is, they’re only really possible here in winter, and even then they’re pretty scarce. I don’t know how I missed them up in NY, though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

No my issue is, they’re only really possible here in winter, and even then they’re pretty scarce. I don’t know how I missed them up in NY, though. 

They're not that common everywhere throughout the state. I think you were visiting south and central NY, where they can be quite irregular. You're going to have to come here (?) or to the Adirondacks to see them for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

They're not that common everywhere throughout the state. I think you were visiting south and central NY, where they can be quite irregular. You're going to have to come here (?) or to the Adirondacks to see them for sure.

I was up in Otsego and Saratoga counties for a little.

• Like 2