Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day


Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

No, haven’t shot with it at all actuality. 

How do you think I’d be if I got the R7 and the rf 100-400? I know it’s a great combo but my worry is going from 960 effective focal length to 640. It is within my budget, though…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, IKLland said:

How do you think I’d be if I got the R7 and the rf 100-400? I know it’s a great combo but my worry is going from 960 effective focal length to 640. It is within my budget, though…

I think it would probably work well. You could put the teleconverter on that. It just doesn’t work well with my ef lens and the rf-ef converter. Once I get the rf 100-500 I’ll start using a teleconverter. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, IKLland said:

How do you think I’d be if I got the R7 and the rf 100-400? I know it’s a great combo but my worry is going from 960 effective focal length to 640. It is within my budget, though…

If you're worried about focal length, wouldn't an EF/RF adapter to pair your current 150-600mm lens to the new R7 be a cheap solution,  or are they not compatible?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

If you're worried about focal length, wouldn't an EF/RF adapter to pair your current 150-600mm lens to the new R7 be a cheap solution,  or are they not compatible?

Honestly, this is the best option. Skip the EF100-400, and save money for RF100-500. The RF lenses are built to be optimally compatible with the autofocus system of the R7/6/5. 

Edited by blackburnian
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blackburnian said:

Oops, never mind. Misread @IKLland’s post as EF100-400. Go ahead with the RF100-400. I have it. Really great for the price. I wouldn’t use a teleconverter too often as the aperture is already narrow enough at f8. 

Yeah, my only worry is going down in focal length, especially since I can’t use a teleconverter with  the f/8 too often. Another option would be to keep the sigma and get the r7 with the adapter and save up for the 100-500, but that might not be available to me for two or three years. One more option is to upgrade to a better DSLR(7d ii) and hope that canon or sigma comes out with an rf version of the 150-600, which would definitely be something I’d get. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

Yeah, my only worry is going down in focal length, especially since I can’t use a teleconverter with  the f/8 too often. Another option would be to keep the sigma and get the r7 with the adapter and save up for the 100-500, but that might not be available to me for two or three years. One more option is to upgrade to a better DSLR(7d ii) and hope that canon or sigma comes out with an rf version of the 150-600, which would definitely be something I’d get. 

I REALLY recommend going mirrorless. The R7 is incredible. The autofocus system and eye tracking is a game changer. Both the RF600 and RF800 prime lenses are shockingly good for their price. I am probably going to buy the 800 soon. The R7’s high ISO and IS compensate for the narrow aperture quite nicely. I don’t want to make it sound like a teleconverter is the worst thing, but it won’t give you the reach that a prime lens will but still the same aperture problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

I REALLY recommend going mirrorless. The R7 is incredible. The autofocus system and eye tracking is a game changer. Both the RF600 and RF800 prime lenses are shockingly good for their price. I am probably going to buy the 800 soon. The R7’s high ISO and IS compensate for the narrow aperture quite nicely. I don’t want to make it sound like a teleconverter is the worst thing, but it won’t give you the reach that a prime lens will but still the same aperture problem. 

Yeah, I’m probably going mirrorless. I’m not sure if I’ll be fine with the fixed 800mm and that poor minimum focus distance in the 800 and 600. I’m debating between getting the r7 and rf100-400 or the r7 and keep my sigma 150-600 with an adapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Apparently there are a fair amount of autofocus issues with this pairing. Still capable of getting great shots though. 

Probably no worse than the issues I already have with my old piece of junk…

Edited by Seanbirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, IKLland said:

The only problem is that the sigma has autofocus issues while in the eye AF mode on the r7. 

 

13 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Apparently there are a fair amount of autofocus issues with this pairing. Still capable of getting great shots though. 

For the price of an EF/RF adapter, it might be worth trying the 150-600 before investing in an RF lens. If the 150-600 on the R7 isn't a huge improvement on your keeper ratio, then it hasn't cost you much to find out if the combo is good enough to keep you happy until you can get the lens you want. 

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blackburnian said:

Not counting the 12k+ prime lenses, the best setup right now for reasonable price is probably a toss up between Canon’s R5/RF100-500 (R7 or R6 works too) and Sony’s a9/200-600. I’m counting the R3 and a1 in a slightly higher budget. 

The best setup in the world for bird photography right now is probably the Sony a1 with the Sony 600mm f/4. It’s literally $25000 though.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

The best setup in the world for bird photography right now is probably the Sony a1 with the Sony 600mm f/4. It’s literally $25000 though.

Yes, I was not including bodies/lenses in that price range. The R3 with an 800mm f/5.6 would be my pick. It’ll run you about 23k though! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...