Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Clip said:

The thick white eyebrow on this bird has me wondering if it is actually a Louisiana Waterthrush.

Interesting.  It is plump also, but it does have a lot of streaking.  A Louisiana would be marked as rare for this time of year.  Both Merlin and iBird pro are convinced it is a Northern, even if I change the date in Merlin, and give it a location of "unknown," so I wonder whether all the streaking, especially the heavy throat streaking is the giveaway factor for northern.  This isn't the ID forum, so I'll be making another post.

5 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I didn't crop it more because it looks kind of grainy up close. Like this

P1000602 (1).JPG

When you crop an image, the grain that is already there becomes more pronounced and obvious. The more you crop, the more grainy an image becomes. This is why it’s best to try your best to get as close as possible to the bird, (ethically, of course) so you can avoid cropping too much.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, IKLland said:

When you crop an image, the grain that is already there becomes more pronounced and obvious. The more you crop, the more grainy an image becomes. This is why it’s best to try your best to get as close as possible to the bird, (ethically, of course) so you can avoid cropping too much.

I'm aware. This was the closest I got before it flew off. Do you think the more closely cropped version is better or worse?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm aware. This was the closest I got before it flew off. Do you think the more closely cropped version is better or worse?

Very hard to tell with the downsized images from whatbird and eBird. 

32 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I gave it a 4.  I didn't deduct a point because of the size in the frame, but because of imperfections in the blurred out background.  It's not uniformly blurred out, and not enough for the effect.

I'm not seeing nonuniform blurring- since the bird was perched on a pole in front of trees, what makes you think that the blurring is inconsistent?

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I gave it a 4.  I didn't deduct a point because of the size in the frame, but because of imperfections in the blurred out background.  It's not uniformly blurred out, and not enough for the effect.

Please not that eBird guidelines don’t say anything about how the background is blurred. Only subtract a point for this if the background is distracting away from the bird. In this case, even if you feel it may not be uniform, only subtract a point for it if it’s distracting. Personally, I find the background not totally smooth,  but not distracting. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IKLland said:

Please not that eBird guidelines don’t say anything about how the background is blurred. Only subtract a point for this if the background is distracting away from the bird. In this case, even if you feel it may not be uniform, only subtract a point for it if it’s distracting. Personally, I find the background not totally smooth,  but not distracting. 

I found is a little distracting and it took my eyes a second to properly focus on the subject.  The box to the top of the left of the bird was probably part of what my brain didn't like.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm not seeing nonuniform blurring- since the bird was perched on a pole in front of trees, what makes you think that the blurring is inconsistent?

I only criticize photos when asked to.  When I first looked at the photo, I didn't initially think about anything inconsistent with the blurring, but my brain acted as if something was slightly out of focus before it normalized everything.  Maybe my eyes took a second or two to initially properly focus because of the box to the top left of the bird, the few light spots on the right, and the two darker spots on the bottom, to the left of the pole.  There is also the dark V shape on the far left that wasn't obscured by the blurring.  I'm not certain those are the exact issues I had with the photo initially, but I'm trying to figure out what caused my instincts to think there was a flaw.

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I only criticize photos when asked to.  When I first looked at the photo, I didn't initially think about anything inconsistent with the blurring, but my brain acted as if something was slightly out of focus before it normalized everything.  Maybe my eyes took a second or two to initially properly focus because of the box to the top left of the bird, the few light spots on the right, and the two darker spots on the bottom, to the left of the pole.  There is also the dark V shape on the far left that wasn't obscured by the blurring.  I'm not certain those are the exact issues I had with the photo initially, but I'm trying to figure out what caused my instincts to think there was a flaw.

I appreciate the feedback! 

• Like 1