Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

That's a crazy good shot! Also of my most needed lifer as well. Still don't know why I've never seen or heard one before. 

Come to Marin. They are being seen super well at Las Gallinas right now. I’m sure you would get great looks. Kinda wild how tiny they are.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Good bird for Marin to right!? Awesome shot!!! I don’t have any good shots of them except for a flight shot:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/591098301

That’s a really good flight shot! 

Rare enough. LEBI breed at this one location in the county, and have done so annually for a number of years now. They likely breed at one other location as well, perhaps more, but this one place is the easiest to bird and see them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I'll ever have a "Best Photo of the Day" to top this one...  taken today in Horicon Marsh in south central Wisconsin.  Two red-winged blackbirds were going crazy because the whooping cranes were close to their nest.  Judging by how long the whooping cranes were staying close to the same spot, I'd bet they had a nest nearby as well!  They seemed a little bemused by the red-winged blackbirds' antics.

DSCN5703.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Is it the species or that the birds are usually in the reeds?

Good point, not sure. I don’t see them that often (3 times thus far) so I don’t have much reference material. But for other birds mainly living in the reeds I do get better shots; that said, I also get more opportunities to photograph the more common ones and a higher chance of better pictures 

• Like 2