Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

How do you get the link to say ML..... [Species Name] Macaulay Library?

I have no idea. I started using a new laptop and it does that to all the Macaulay Library links. In fact, I literally can't link the photo the other way, it just changes to the new format. I have no clue why it does that.

• Like 2

Some Common Eiders I saw during my very little time I had on the east coast. Sadly it was incredibly foggy, the entire time; I leapfrogged on barnacle covered rocks to get close enough for a usable photo. So cool to see in their natural habitat, not as some distant vagrant blob on the great lakes.

ML593794471 Common Eider (Dresser's) Macaulay Library

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, IKLland said:

not sure which of the two photos I liked better. Ratings appreciated! 
https://ebird.org/checklist/S144474670

Personally like them both but would go with the Hummingbird if forced to choose. If I could offer a suggestion though you might want to either crop a little tighter or clone out the leaf on the right of the Hummingbird shot. A bit distracting & it's  not really needed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind remark, Charlie.  Did you ever have the experience of taking what you knew was the pic of a lifetime of a spectacular bird when your hand was trembling. uncontrollably?  Well, that was my morning session. 

I have a dozen pics of this bird but none of them can compare with the first frame.    

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

What exactly are you copying?

Oops sorry, I thought I replied to this, guess I forgot to. I just copied the URL from the "search bar" and didn't do anything fancy to include the species name in the link. I'll have to look through my older posts and see if this is relatively recent or not. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

So at this point it's mostly my gear? Or should I try to fiddle around with the shutter speed more?

Unfortunately, to take super high quality photos, you pretty much need a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a decent lens. Point and shoots can produce very nice photos, and if your a birder that just wants to be able to document birds you see, a point and shoot can be very good, as the zoom capability is unmatched(unless your willing to pay $30k. However, they fall short in photo quality. (and I mean sharpness wise, bokeh wise, not artistically, you can take nice photos with a point and shoot)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

So at this point it's mostly my gear? Or should I try to fiddle around with the shutter speed more?

I'm going to ask some basic questions.

Remind us what your equipment is.  That isn't coming through in the metadata for your eBird posts.

What do you do with your photos? 

• Do you use them strictly in electronic format - wallpaper, posting to eBird, sharing, etc.?  If so, are they viewed mostly on a TV, large monitor, tablet, or phone?
  • Do you print them?  If so, what sizes?  Are they for personal use, giving to friends, semi-professional sales?

Are you shooting mostly at maximum zoom?  Optical only or do you have digital zoom enabled?  Mostly autofocus or manual?

Are you using a tripod or other support?  Is your lens clean?  Do you have only a screen or do you have a viewfinder too?

Do you floss regularly and brush with a fluoride toothpaste?  :classic_biggrin: 

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 1