Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

18 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

TN?!!! Nice bird!

Thanks  They show up every year, almost always during the first 2 weeks of August in the same stretch of the Sequatchie River Valley about 30-40 miles NW of Chattanooga. Not sure why.  The numbers seem to vary from year to year.  Numbers seem down this year. 

• Like 1

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, hbvol50 said:

Thanks  They show up every year, almost always during the first 2 weeks of August in the same stretch of the Sequatchie River Valley about 30-40 miles NW of Chattanooga. Not sure why.  The numbers seem to vary from year to year.  Numbers seem down this year. 

Yeah, they sure do. Same with the warblers. Maybe just a late year? I mean it has been a cold year.

1 hour ago, Birds are cool said:

No, not sarcasm. At least here, it has not gotten hot until just recently.

I'm less than 100 miles from BAC as the corvid flies.  It's been a relatively mild summer in the GA-SC-NC coastal plains.  I don't recall it breaking 100 yet this year in central SC.  June was comfortable and most of July was under 95.  We've had far less of the usual heat-driven pop-up thunderstorms.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm less than 100 miles from BAC as the corvid flies.  It's been a relatively mild summer in the GA-SC-NC coastal plains.  I don't recall it breaking 100 yet this year in central SC.  June was comfortable and most of July was under 95.  We've had far less of the usual heat-driven pop-up thunderstorms.

Yeah, I live in middle GA and I don't think we reached above 93 all of june. There were only a few days in July where it reached over 95. (The highest was 98, and only briefly during the heat of the afternoon. Yesterday was one of the hottest days we have had all year with a high of 98F and a heat index of 110. Usually by early July we will have a few days in the mid 100s, and a heat index of 115+F. It's early August and we are just getting to the heat of the summer. I just hope that summer isn't late, and lasts into October. (I'm not a heat guy)

On top of two brutal hot summers, it has only rained good one time in the last two years and that was just barely enough to fill our creek up(and we fill up pretty easy). Water prices are tripling, not to mention water rationing. Hay is already hard to find, which is really bad. Fields are producing 1/5 of the hay they normally do. It is so dry and hot not even the grasshoppers will leave the shade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1