Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Egret.  Brunswick County, coastal southeastern NC.  26 Aug 23

I've taken other photos of GREGs on this same branch over the last couple of years.  (Search 'Those Almost Great Shots' for the 'Great Headless Egret' 😞 ) This could be same bird, it could be a different one.  This time I found a new angle that let me position the bird fully in front of a dark background.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I have to figure out how to get down to ground level without getting sand in all my gear.

On my R7, I just bend down and flip out the LCD so I can see what I’m looking at. Sometimes I’ll still lay all the way down. As long as there’s no sand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

Why?

I shoot in jpeg, don't have an expensive camera, and honestly would rather just get a good shot and not have to spend hours that I don't have editing my amateur photos to try to pass as a pro. I can apprecitate the skill and art in editing photos, and won't tell anyone not to edit theirs, as long as it doesn't completely fantasize the image (if it's going to eBird, anywhere else that's not a scientific database people can do whatever they want), but I hold a good photo that's not edited above a fantastic photo that's been heavily processed. I just like natural things I guess.

Also, I should clarify. I probably do have some photos that have been cropped, maybe one that's lightened or drawn on, but these are only for making the bird/field marks visible. eBird is for my documentation, Instagram is for my "art."

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Avery said:

honestly would rather just get a good shot and not have to spend hours that I don't have editing my amateur photos

Yep.  For me, the photos are documentation; art is a secondary concern.  I only recently started cropping everything when I learned Macaulay images are fed into the eBird quizzes.  As to editing beyond that, I prefer the image that captures how I saw the bird that day; dim light, obscuring branches, etc.  For me, that captures the circumstances of the sighting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

.  As to editing beyond that, I prefer the image that captures how I saw the bird that day; dim light, obscuring branches, etc.  For me, that captures the circumstances of the sighting.

Exactly! I love getting shots through a window in shrubs with tons of branches and leaves obscuring parts of the bird, as it captures not only the circumstance of the sighting, but also some of the personality of the bird! Here are some examples I’ve taken:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/569852061

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/335521681

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/560827541

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1