Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

Your Swainson's Warbler on that checklist is I believe actually a Northern Cardinal.

Appreciate the feedback.  My photos don't show the head, (except for maybe a little of it on the second one which may show part of the stripe) so I can't clearly see the stripe marking, but the back colors and profile look good to me for a Swainson's.  

Also, the sulky, very low, almost hidden under twigs and leaves ground behavior is exactly what I witnessed when I got my Swainson's warbler (confirmed as it was rare - out of season) at the time.  I've seen Northern cardinals on the ground, but not behaving like this.

What's your argument for a female, Northern Cardinal?

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

The Swainson's Warbler on that checklist is a Northern Cardinal as @BlueJay said, and I believe the Magnolia Warbler photo is a Cape May.

100% in agreement with the misidentified Cape May.  I switched the photo to the appropriate section.  Pls see my reply to @BlueJay - my photos don't show the head, (except for maybe a little of it on the second one which may show part of the stripe) so I can't clearly see the stripe marking, but the back colors and profile look good to me for a Swainson's.  

Also, the sulky, very low, almost hidden under twigs and leaves ground behavior is exactly what I witnessed when I got my Swainson's warbler lifer back in May (confirmed as it was rare - out of season).  I've seen Northern cardinals on the ground, but not behaving like this.

What's your argument for a female, Northern Cardinal?

Edited by dragon49