Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

2 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

100% in agreement with the misidentified Cape May.  I switched the photo to the appropriate section.  Pls see my reply to @BlueJayMy photos don't show the head, (except for maybe a little of it on the second one which may show part of the stripe) so I can't clearly see the stripe marking, but the back colors and profile look good to me for a Swainson's.  

Also, the sulky, very low, almost hidden under twigs and leaves ground behavior is exactly what I witnessed when I got my Swainson's warbler (confirmed as it was rare - out of season) at the time.  I've seen Northern cardinals on the ground, but not behaving like this.

What's your argument for a female, Northern Cardinal?

The red wings are contrasting with the body color, which is never seen on a Swainson's Warbler. You can also see a red crest and black mask, more obvious in the second photo. I have also seen the cardinals in my neighborhood foraging in brushy foliage before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

The red wings are contrasting with the body color, which is never seen on a Swainson's Warbler. You can also see a red crest and black mask, more obvious in the second photo. I have also seen the cardinals in my neighborhood foraging in brushy foliage before.

Ty - also ty @BlueJay for the initial correction.  I deleted the observation.  I had only added the awful photos, as I thought it had been my second lifetime Swainson's Warbler observation.  No need for crappy Northern Cardinal pics.  I didn't bother adding one to the Northern cardinal count, as this could have been one of the birds I originally added from a call.

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 1

My P1000 decided to die (won't power on) 6 weeks after the warranty lapsed, so I sent it off to Nikon for repairs.  I'm not going to have anything great for a few weeks until I get it back.  My backup B6000 is a good camera, but it feels so weird not to have a viewfinder, and the quality of my pics won't be the same without one.  

Here is my best shot of the day from the backup camera:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/609888338

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

35 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

My P1000 decided to die (won't power on) 6 weeks after the warranty lapsed, so I sent it off to Nikon for repairs.  I'm not going to have anything great for a few weeks until I get it back.  My backup B6000 is a good camera, but it feels so weird not to have a viewfinder, and the quality of my pics won't be the same without one.  

The ones under RBWO with the bird looking at the camera are much better IMO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dragon49 said:

What is this bird clinging to??

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What is this bird clinging to??

I think this was some kind of reed, although, quite odd for it to be in the middle of a shopping center parking lot.  Maybe it was some part of a tree system.  I won't be back there for at least a week but will certainly check put the spot when I next return.  

If I'm correct, then I wonder whether there was any practical value (nutrition?) for the two Red-bellied Woodpeckers to be up on it.

I'll follow-up sometime after the 20th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1