Whatbird Community

Share Your Best Photo of the Day

Message added by aveschapinas,

Folks: it's not OK to take other people's photos to edit and re-post. Just like we don't correct each other's spelling and grammar, we don't take it upon ourselves to decide that someone's photo needs correction. In addition, as has been emphasized before, you need to respect copyright.

28 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I did notice a halo effect in your recent Bobolink photo, @stitch58, but I'm just not seeing that effect in your Seaside Sparrow photo. For what it's worth, I have taken photos with that halo effect right out of the camera and have always attributed it to shooting conditions and not camera settings. I honestly don't know what actually causes the effect though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

think I have learned something knew and drawn my own conclusions from the tidbits I've read. Those that know better can correct me if I'm wrong. 

The halo effect happens at edges with high contrast, which is condition specific and beyond our control, but the effect can be reduced in post processing by reducing contrast and/or sharpness. Some lenses at certain apertures and longer focal lengths can exaggerate the halo effect. I am left with the impression that it just happens and post processing can increase or decrease the effect if you're so inclined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I did notice a halo effect in your recent Bobolink photo, @stitch58, but I'm just not seeing that effect in your Seaside Sparrow photo. For what it's worth, I have taken photos with that halo effect right out of the camera and have always attributed it to shooting conditions and not camera settings. I honestly don't know what actually causes the effect though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes I went back & looked at the Bobolink shots & I see it too. I’ll have to see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, stitch58 said:

Yes I went back & looked at the Bobolink shots & I see it too. I’ll have to see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

*points to the post at the top of this new page incase you missed it* 

That might help you get started.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

think I have learned something knew and drawn my own conclusions from the tidbits I've read. Those that know better can correct me if I'm wrong. 

The halo effect happens at edges with high contrast, which is condition specific and beyond our control, but the effect can be reduced in post processing by reducing contrast and/or sharpness. Some lenses at certain apertures and longer focal lengths can exaggerate the halo effect. I am left with the impression that it just happens and post processing can increase or decrease the effect if you're so inclined.

Yes I did increase the contrast so a possibility.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

Did you mask the background? I see quite a halo around the bird.

6 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Shoot RAW in manual, no creative filters. I don't use Photoshop or Lightroom though. I use a program called ACDSee, perhaps that has something to do with it. Didn't do anything major to it in processing though. Original was a little overexposed so slightly decreased exposure, increased contrast a bit & sharpened a bit.

I see it too.  In the program I use (RawTherapee) this happens when I adjust shadows only.

• Thanks 2

I got at maybe four personal species bests on this day, but will go with this one for this thread:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620391872

image.thumb.jpeg.05f0488452b35aaf8ccfa142796397a3.jpeg

actual favorite, which is going into the Colors thread: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620392058

my best Bushtit: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620391708

maybe my best Spotted Towhee: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620391901

• Like 9

23 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'm just not seeing that effect in your Seaside Sparrow photo.

I now see the halo effect that others have mentioned. It took some pixel peeping but I can see that the vertical flow/grain of the background grasses looses it's vertical flow around the edge of the bird. The colour is the same to my eyes with the exception of the vertical streakiness missing from the closest pixels surrounding the bird. Now that I have found it up close, I can see it along the back of the bird without needing to zoom in, but I really need to look for it. It doesn't jump out at me like it does others. I'm not sure if it's my failing eyes or my lower standard of quality, but I don't see this halo as a problem that I would worry about. Now that I know that it's not always obvious to me, I might look for it a little closer in my photos and try to make sure I don't make it worse in processing, but it's just as likely I won't be looking that closely and likely won't care if I do see a slight halo effect. 🤷‍♂️ Nice to finally know what everyone has been talking about though. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I had a lot of fun post-processing this Great Crested Flycatcher.  After I liked the results from maxing out the saturation, it took me a long time to get the brightness and contrast to exactly where I wanted them.  I welcome and appreciate thoughts and feedback regarding what I did with this:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620455945

I’d recommend to never max out saturation, doing that amplified the color cast on the yellow of the bird and made it look super green. It also just doesn’t look that natural imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I had a lot of fun post-processing this Great Crested Flycatcher.  After I liked the results from maxing out the saturation, it took me a long time to get the brightness and contrast to exactly where I wanted them.  I welcome and appreciate thoughts and feedback regarding what I did with this:

10 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

I’d recommend to never max out saturation, doing that amplified the color cast on the yellow of the bird and made it look super green. It also just doesn’t look that natural imo. 

Agree with @MichaelLong. eBird specifically asks you NOT to do this to photos. I say, have fun with pics in your post-processing platforms, but don’t add them to Macaulay, especially after significantly altering them.

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I like it in an artsy sort of way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I welcome and appreciate thoughts and feedback regarding what I did with this:

Creative edits can be fun to play with and leave you with some interesting photos when you're done, but at a certain point the photo becomes art and if your art doesn't represent the subject accurately, it shouldn't be used that way. Sharing a creative edit on Whatbird for some fun discussion is one thing, posting a blue headed bird with parrot green coloured belly and under wings and then saying that's what a Great Crested Flycatcher looks like is something totally different. I'd see nothing objectionable about a photo like this on a photo sharing website, but I can see why posting it to Macaulay might not be such a good idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The bird is unrecognizable as a GCFL.

This isn’t true, but I agree with others, it’s much too bright yellow and unnatural. If it’s not what it looked like in the field, then it shouldn’t be uploaded to eBird. 

• Like 1