Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
GracesWarbler

Fledgeling Lesser Goldfinch? (Also general fledgling questions)

I was birding a couple days ago (October 6) in Flagstaff, AZ, and I saw a tiny fledgling bird on the ground (first two photos).  I saw a Lesser Goldfinch nearby (third photo), which I thought might be a parent.  Two questions: 1) Is the little bird a Lesser Goldfinch?  2) Is it normal for a bird this young to be on the ground?  It could flutter a little, but only fly a foot or so in the air.  It hopped around a little, seemed unsure of what to do (but didn't seem too afraid of me), and chirped loudly.  Do the parents come and feed birds in this situation?  It was such a tiny little bird, so I was a little concerned for it.

DSC_0183-XL.jpg

DSC_0193-XL.jpg

DSC_0186-XL.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

I was birding a couple days ago (October 6) in Flagstaff, AZ, and I saw a tiny fledgling bird on the ground (first two photos).  I saw a Lesser Goldfinch nearby (third photo), which I thought might be a parent.  Two questions: 1) Is the little bird a Lesser Goldfinch?  2) Is it normal for a bird this young to be on the ground?  It could flutter a little, but only fly a foot or so in the air.  It hopped around a little, seemed unsure of what to do (but didn't seem too afraid of me), and chirped loudly.  Do the parents come and feed birds in this situation?  It was such a tiny little bird, so I was a little concerned for it.

I can't comment on the bird's ID but I can tell you that fledglings are very new to flying and will often be seen hopping around on the ground while they get the hang of flying and just as importantly, getting the hang of landing on small branch perches. The parents will be nearby keeping an eye on things but unless the bird is in immediate danger it's best to leave the fledgling alone and just give it the space it, and it's parents need. Here's a link that can be found at the top of the main page of ID forum that offers more info.  https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/announcement/3-what-to-do-if-you-find-a-baby-or-injured-bird/

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I can't comment on the bird's ID but I can tell you that fledglings are very new to flying and will often be seen hopping around on the ground while they get the hang of flying and just as importantly, getting the hang of landing on small branch perches. The parents will be nearby keeping an eye on things but unless the bird is in immediate danger it's best to leave the fledgling alone and just give it the space it, and it's parents need. Here's a link that can be found at the top of the main page of ID forum that offers more info.  https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/announcement/3-what-to-do-if-you-find-a-baby-or-injured-bird/

Agree with all of this.  It does look like a Lesser Goldfinch to me. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, lonestranger said:

Yeah, I was curious/worried about it, so I took a close look, but after a minute or so I left and gave it space.  I figured it would be best not to crowd it.  Hopefully it's growing up alright!