Whatbird Community

Double-Crested Cormorant or Anhinga?

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Anhinga

2 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Btw the scientific name is Anhinga anhinga.

So it's not just Anhinga it's Anhinga anhinga! So instead of just saying Anhinga, I should have said Anhinga Anhinga.

Anhinga Anhinga.

?

Edited by Kevin
I think I got it right now Anhinga Anhinga.
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Anhinga

23 hours ago, Bird-Boys said:

Anhinga

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Anhinga

7 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Anhinga 

7 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Anhinga 

7 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Anhinga

Very creative responses! No offense, but it sounds like you are parrots!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

What....???

We fans of singer / songwriter Jimmy Buffett are called 'Parrotheads'.  Most of his music fulfills working class dreams of escaping to the Caribbean.  Buffett is an active environmentalist, active in manatee preservation and coastal water quality issues.

One of his songs, 'Fins', is about a young woman trying to enjoy a beach vacation but she's constantly surrounded by aggressive men ('sharks that swim on land') trying to date her.  The chorus includes the line "You've got fins to the left, fins to the right, and you're the only girl in town".  During Buffett's live performances, we'll hold our hands up over our heads, like a giant shark fin, then lean left and right.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

We fans of singer / songwriter Jimmy Buffett are called 'Parrotheads'.  Most of his music fulfills working class dreams of escaping to the Caribbean.  Buffett is an active environmentalist, active in manatee preservation and coastal water quality issues.

One of his songs, 'Fins', is about a young woman trying to enjoy a beach vacation but she's constantly surrounded by aggressive men ('sharks that swim on land') trying to date her.  The chorus includes the line "You've got fins to the left, fins to the right, and you're the only girl in town".  During Buffett's live performances, we'll hold our hands up over our heads, like a giant shark fin, then lean left and right.

Okay...This got a bit of topic. Interesting to know. I'm mostly a classical music person.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Okay...This got a bit of topic. Interesting to know. I'm mostly a classical music person.

Several years ago I found I was listening to less music overall.  I tried to get interested in classical / art music but it went nowhere.  

May I ask, do you play an instrument?  In my brief exploration, I found a lot of people who either learned classical when they took up an instrument, or came to it from playing other genres.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Several years ago I found I was listening to less music overall.  I tried to get interested in classical / art music but it went nowhere.  

May I ask, do you play an instrument?  In my brief exploration, I found a lot of people who either learned classical when they took up an instrument, or came to it from playing other genres.

Yes, I am a violinist playing in a youth orchestra. I really enjoy classical music. I guess you do get a better understanding and appreciation of the music when you can play it.

• Like 4

On 7/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

My college roommate was a huge Parrothead. I went to a concert in college with him and it was the single most fun I have ever had a concert. I could only really give you details offline though. ?

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Me too!! 

Woohoo! It's rare that you find someone else who is both young and a birder and a violinist who enjoys classical music. So glad you play violin too! Also, I recently auditioned for a higher position in the youth orchestra, and I just found out that I got it!

• Like 4