Whatbird Community

18 minutes ago, BirdsAndPuzzles said:

Crazy I was just unknowingly photographing these guys from 5 feet away yesterday and find out today that they attack birds 15x their size

That's the widest range I've seen between attacker and attackee!

Spectacular photos.  Would you tell us how you were positioned to shoot them?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I’ve seen hummingbirds attack Red-taileds before. 

I once saw a hummingbird dive at a Least Sandpiper twice, 100 +/- feet apart, as it and other sandpipers were flying away in a straight line from a puddle in a soccer field. The hummingbird had flown up out of the field of view of my binoculars, then returned for the second chastising.

Another time I saw a hummingbird hover close to a gnatcatcher as if to harass it. I burst out laughing as they were pretty much the same minuscule size.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, Seanbirds said:

This really cracked me up! Looks like @Charlie Spencer invented a new word! 🤣

While @Charlie Spenceris undoubtably a very clever and witty guy, attackee is an established dictionary word from long ago, just sayin', LOL!!!  🙂

attackee noun

at·tack·ee | \ ə-ˌta-ˈkē  \
plural attackees

Definition of attackee

: someone or something that is the victim or target of an attack : one that is attacked

-When it attacked someone, an article often included a rebuttal from that person at the story's end—no need to wait for a nasty letter from the attackee in the following month's issue.— Bob Betcher, Press Journal (Vero Beach, Florida), 2 Nov. 2001

-This posture will usually cause the attacker to hold off long enough for the attackee to hurry back to its own territory.— Larry S. Thompson, Audubon Magazine, September 1985

First Known Use of attakee  1872, in the meaning defined above

NOTE: Information was copied from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/attackee 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Not worth the calories necessary to chase it.

This reminds me that once I watching a Barred Owl that was out during the daytime. A cardinal perched on the branch directly above him. Every time the owl moved to a new branch or new tree, the cardinal moved, too --to the branch above. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChristmasBird said:

This reminds me that once I watching a Barred Owl that was out during the daytime. A cardinal perched on the branch directly above him. Every time the owl moved to a new branch or new tree, the cardinal moved, too --to the branch above. 

I've seen a cardinal perch above a Barred Owl, too!  Guess it's a safe place to check out the predator.

2094861749_badoandnoca.thumb.jpg.ac82d0ea902c329b3f8114e5c0be3108.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I've seen a cardinal perch above a Barred Owl, too!  Guess it's a safe place to check out the predator.

2094861749_badoandnoca.thumb.jpg.ac82d0ea902c329b3f8114e5c0be3108.jpg

Going up is a lot harder than going down.

• Like 4