Whatbird Community

Orchard Oriole?

The photos were taken this morning in Chapel Hill, NC.  This bird, which is a very young bird was hiding in the brush near where I was trying to get photos of some other birds.  It was chirping off and on and keeping very still.  I actually got very close to it and although it looked at me, never budged from it's spot.  I felt I could have reached out and picked it up, but I would never do something like that.  Anyway, I first thought it was a Common Yellowthroat, but it obviously (to me) isn't.  There were several Orchard Orioles in the area, and I thought it was a fledgling Oriole.  The bobbed tail was interesting, not sure if that's normal for a fledge or if it already lost some tail feathers.

lTvhdd0.jpg

UksEchn.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkG said:

This bird, which is a very young bird was hiding in the brush near where I was trying to get photos of some other birds.  It was chirping off and on and keeping very still.

I had four like this a couple of weeks ago in central SC.  Mine looked a bit older, in that their tail feathers were better developed.  They also hop-flapped around a bit in the tangled shrubbery, but never left it.  Fun little critters.

• Like 2