Whatbird Community

Feedback on editing attempts.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, lonestranger said:

Also, the light metering mode can effect exposure. Limiting the metering to the middle of the image reduces the affect of the background lighting on the exposure. If you haven't already, you may want to consider center weighted, or possibly even spot metering, for your bird photography.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, cooldood said:

Change your metering mode to spot.  If you have a super contrast such as crow or egret the camera tries to average the whole scene.  Spot metering will make the center the correct exposure.  

Thanks!  This change made a huge difference today.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How do you decide what width-height ratio to crop?  The app I use allows me to specify free hand, fixed ratio, or fixed size.  I've been using fixed size 2000 x 1500 simply because that approximates my monitor dimensions.  It's better than when I wasn't cropping at all but sometimes still leave a smaller / distant bird a bit isolated in the image.

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

How do you decide what width-height ratio to crop?  The app I use allows me to specify free hand, fixed ratio, or fixed size.  I've been using fixed size 2000 x 1500 simply because that approximates my monitor dimensions.  It's better than when I wasn't cropping at all but sometimes still leave a smaller / distant bird a bit isolated in the image.

It depends on the photo. I usually use 4:3, but sometimes 3:2.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I play around with all and decide which one I like best 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The app I use allows me to specify free hand, fixed ratio, or fixed size. 

I would suggest using a fixed ratio of your preference, 4:3 matches your 2000 x 1500 screen approximation. I use the same ratio that the camera is set to, 3:2, most of the time. If there's not enough pixels left to fill your screen after cropping, you should be able to adjust your viewer to 'Fill' the screen with the image, if/when desired. My viewer/slideshow is set to 'Fit' images to my screen so that larger images are constrained to the screen, crops smaller than screen size 2880x1800 are just shown smaller than the screen, which is fine by me.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

Which temperature looks best? I think I prefer 7000 the best but i also like the vibrance of the blues in the bird in the 5250 k and 6000 k photos.

original (5250 k)

Screenshot2024-04-20203522.png.2b24dafeb9ec6fe29e85c8ee63ee65ea.png

6000 k

Screenshot2024-04-20203622.png.bddb8eb71e5fdd5e23b5172c1d7b0008.png

7000 k

Screenshot2024-04-20203556.thumb.png.9670555f695e7d0faf7e5ad506847603.png

I’d go to like 650 haha

• Like 1