Whatbird Community

Feedback on editing attempts.

If anyone has photos that they think could be improved by editing, please feel free to DM them to me! I am a little busy, I might not get them back for a day or two. 

If it’s a non-sharp photo, I can’t do much about that. However, I can change color and lighting in every photo. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
56 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

@IKLland you still up for editing?  I had posted some Eastern Palm Warbler photos back in May and there was question on White Balance.  I need to get off my butt and get them submitted to the MBRC.  

Original pic with WB "As Shot"

With WB set to Auto in Lightroom

untitled-9198_orig.jpg

Sure thing! Gimme a few minutes. 

Alright, @chipperatl. This was tough because I don’t have enough experience with the species to know what it really looked like in the field, but I took a shot at it. I’d suggest that if you don’t like any of them, that you submit all of them and say which one was the original and which one looks closest to what you saw in the field. 

My first edit, I increased vibrance every so slightly, and I played around with the WB until it looked the best IMO. I also lifted the shadows a little.Nothing else has been done to the image. Please note that I’m uploading these directly to the forum, so if you need the higher quality, you can give me your real email address and I can send them to you for better quality when you submit them. 4E95CEC9-370F-4368-B4E0-748518439DA0.thumb.jpeg.b18cc5a02cd4b16bb213091511f54b0a.jpeg

And here is the same photo from above, but this time I cropped it, sharpened it a little, and denoised it a little. The WB, color, and shadows are exactly the same from the first edit I made. 
34CA8562-6B8A-45EE-AA2E-C219DD37E188.thumb.jpeg.55daaed6ee8db658637ac1ed9cb318f3.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

Alright, @chipperatl. This was tough because I don’t have enough experience with the species to know what it really looked like in the field, but I took a shot at it. I’d suggest that if you don’t like any of them, that you submit all of them and say which one was the original and which one looks closest to what you saw in the field. 

My first edit, I increased vibrance every so slightly, and I played around with the WB until it looked the best IMO. I also lifted the shadows a little.Nothing else has been done to the image. Please note that I’m uploading these directly to the forum, so if you need the higher quality, you can give me your real email address and I can send them to you for better quality when you submit them. 4E95CEC9-370F-4368-B4E0-748518439DA0.thumb.jpeg.b18cc5a02cd4b16bb213091511f54b0a.jpeg

And here is the same photo from above, but this time I cropped it, sharpened it a little, and denoised it a little. The WB, color, and shadows are exactly the same from the first edit I made. 
34CA8562-6B8A-45EE-AA2E-C219DD37E188.thumb.jpeg.55daaed6ee8db658637ac1ed9cb318f3.jpeg

Thanks.  I think either one makes a good case for this to be an Eastern, and not just WB causing it to look more yellow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Has anybody tried gimp? Totally free, and offers everything you could want to edit

I have. It’s way too complicated for me. I like photoshop express and affinity for cheap editing/free(if your shooting jpg) apps better. Of course, if I had a computer, I’d get Lightroom and DXO Pure Raw, but I don’t. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I have. It’s way too complicated for me. I like photoshop express and affinity for cheap editing/free(if your shooting jpg) apps better. Of course, if I had a computer, I’d get Lightroom and DXO Pure Raw, but I don’t. 

6 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I have and I agree with @IKLland - GIMP is unnecessarily complicated because of its poor UI.

I watched some videos on how to use GIMP, and once you figure it out, it is amazing.

6 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

I watched some videos on how to use GIMP, and once you figure it out, it is amazing.

We install it at work instead of PhotoShop for people whose jobs require editing photos (which aren't many).

It's 100% free for home use.  The worst thing that can happen is try it, don't like it, and delete it.

• Like 2

Great job everyone.  I am no professional ( just look at my pics )  but if you are going to edit photos you rally should shoot in RAW.  If you want to see a great example.  Under expose an image 2-stops or even to the point it is black.  You can raise the exposure and recover virtually all of the data.  Tony Northrup has a great video on ISO isn't real anymore.  Not sure what everyone is using for software.  I am using lightroom classic and it is like 10-15 per month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

I have been using GIMP to edit my photos, and have been experimenting with a couple different features it offers. Which one do you think looks better? Thanks!

Edited 

AMGO1 CROPPED.JPG

Original

AMGO1 ORIGINAL.JPG

Definitely the edit. 

I need to learn how to use GIMP better! I feel like there's a huge amount of untapped potential in there for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

I have been using GIMP to edit my photos, and have been experimenting with a couple different features it offers. Which one do you think looks better? Thanks!

Edited 

AMGO1 CROPPED.JPG

Original

AMGO1 ORIGINAL.JPG

Just realized that the white stomach is blown out(overexposed)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thoughts welcome! 

Raw file(screenshot, so not good quality)

53A44373-9FE3-4E08-96BF-AC69A25B1DA4.thumb.jpeg.05ac169c539d985be80d9ac93c650501.jpeg

Edited image using adobe photoshop express. I sharpened the bird, removed noise, did a couple contrast/brightness adjustments. I did the contrast/brightness adjustments in layers to make it look better(brighter background but not too bright bird). I also did the sharpening and Noise removal in layers. 
Embedded from eBird. 

• Like 6