Whatbird Community

Dowitchers 1

4 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, definitely. Don't suppose you have any sound recordings? I'm not much of a sound birder, but it might help others.

Sadly, no. I don’t think these two were calling much, and I really didn’t do any audio recording back then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

They’re probably Long-billed, but honestly identifying adult dowitchers from pictures is not super reliable, and it is just so easy to identify them by sound. And the juveniles are much easier 

So are you saying that definitive ID’s on these aren’t possible?

• Sad 2

Based on the pattern of the lower scaps, I would almost say the opposite.

1. LBDO

2. SBDO

However, many birds are best left as LBDO/SBDO unless you hear them call or get underwing shots due to how individual variation and feather wear present significant ID challenges.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

The only thing that's getting me about bird 1 Is the fact that the bill starts to get kinda droopy (for a Dowitcher) near the end. Isn't that a feature more associated with Short-billed?

That’s a fairly problematic field mark. Keep in mind that their bills, like so many other shorebirds, are flexible and can appear differently depending on what the bird is doing. Just take a look through the photos and you will see a lot of variation.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=lobdow&mediaType=p&sort=rating_rank_desc&q=Long-billed Dowitcher - Limnodromus scolopaceus

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, DLecy said:

That’s a fairly problematic field mark. Keep in mind that their bills, like so many other shorebirds, are flexible and can appear differently depending on what the bird is doing. Just take a look through the photos and you will see a lot of variation.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=lobdow&mediaType=p&sort=rating_rank_desc&q=Long-billed Dowitcher - Limnodromus scolopaceus

Right.

• Like 1